belgian what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beanbagz1

Reaction score
about 2 weeks ago i brewed this, my recipe.

Extract/fermentables-

.5#agave nectar
.5#corn sugar
2#light lme
2#wheat lme

Grains-

3#belgian pilsner
2.5#wheat malt
1#american vienna

Hops/additions-

.75oz centennial (60mins)
.25oz centennial (15mins)
1oz chinook (10mins)
1oz saaz (10mins)
1oz chinook (5mins)
1oz centennial (dry hop)
1oz saaz (dry hop)
1lb lemongrass cut up (dropped at flameout to steep)

stuff i am working with-

3.5 gallon boil in 5 gallon pot.
2.5 gallons of cold water added to wart to end up with a 5 gallon batch after boiloff.
8 gallon fermenting bucket
5 gallon secondary.

i intended for this to be around 5.5%abv but underestimated my mash efficiency. ended up with a og of 1.070. has come down to 1.017. that leaves me at 7.1%abv. what class would this beer fall into? it is a dark thick looking amber color.. BELGIAN double?

Dubbels tend to be amber to copper in color, and about that abv, but what does it matter? If you like it and it is your creation call it what you will. As far as traditional style you have a lot of aroma and flavor coming in from your hop additions. Ime generally classic Belgian abbey, dubbel, triPel, and such tend to get their nose and flavor from the esters and malt profiles. So I suppose I'd call it a Belgian specialty ale

Dubbels tend to be amber to copper in color, and about that abv, but what does it matter? If you like it and it is your creation call it what you will. As far as traditional style you have a lot of aroma and flavor coming in from your hop additions. Ime generally classic Belgian abbey, dubbel, triPel, and such tend to get their nose and flavor from the esters and malt profiles. So I suppose I'd call it a Belgian specialty ale

i am ok with the fact that it didnt turn out the way i intended, just curious as to what category it might fall into.

With American and Czech hops, idk what you are working with here. What yeast did you use?

you've been misinformed, 029 isn't remotely belgian. i guess its an imperial kolsch of sorts

i had to give it a try after trying wyeast kolsch yeast for the batch before this one. i love the clean almost lagerish profile that kolsch yeast gave.. so i went with white labs version this time.

that is fine.. what could you call it? it has alot of belgian character in the grain bill, closer to a pale ale in hop additions, and a german ale/kolsch yeast.

i certainly wouldnt call 3lbs of belgian pils alot of belgian character. aside from your hops, its just a large kolsch. how about IPK (india pale kolsch)

i certainly wouldnt call 3lbs of belgian pils alot of belgian character. aside from your hops, its just a large kolsch. how about IPK (india pale kolsch)

sorry, i meant somewhat belgian character.. being close to the bill of some belgian wits and such with the wheat and pils.

sorry, i meant somewhat belgian character.. being close to the bill of some belgian wits and such with the wheat and pils.

a kolsch bill is also wheat & pils. there won't be any belgian character as its largely derived from the yeast, not the grain bill

This is true of several beers. The yeast is the star and the grain bill is just the supporting cast.

Pez.

Back