Belgian Trippel slow fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What yeast did you use?

It has only been a weeks so you are way to early to worry about it. Let us know where it is at a month from now.

Thanks everyone.

I used a white labs belgian ale and its bubbling now...

Also, how long should this sit in the primary and secondary fermenters?

Thanks everyone.

I used a white labs belgian ale and its bubbling now...

Also, how long should this sit in the primary and secondary fermenters?

For Big Belgians, think months not weeks.

You can either leave it in the primary for a couple of months, then bottle, or transfer to the secondary after about a month and let it sit for several months, then bottle.Belgians really do benefit from aging. The higher the OG then the longer I let them age.

After bottling I do not even taste them until about 3-4 months.

I have a tripple that i let sit in the primary for over 6 months and has been in the keg for a couple more waiting for some cooler weather.

Did you make a starter?

Nope no starter.... Just warmed the yeast at room temperature for a couple of hours.

Thanks, I will probably let it sit in the primary for at least a month.

I have a Belgian honey I am going to move to a keg to condition for 6 more months

About 50% of my brewing are Tripels and I used to think long primary was better (always recommend a starter & temperature control).

I've been most impressed with Belgians by following this document and using their products, vs. long primary/table sugar:

http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/0/3/5/6035776/belgian_ale_pitching_rates.pdf

Here is an example of a Tripel to 1.009 final gravity in 8 days, moved to cold conditioning secondary (50F) for a month, bottled and aged for 3+ months. This one is in a BJCP competition now and am looking forward to more refined feedback.

graph.jpg
Westmalle Tripel (001d) Doug Smith_Pic 2.jpg

Nope no starter.... Just warmed the yeast at room temperature for a couple of hours.

Thanks, I will probably let it sit in the primary for at least a month.

I have a Belgian honey I am going to move to a keg to condition for 6 more months

Never make a beer over 1.040 OG without making a starter.

There's no need to let yeast warm up before pitching it and it can even be detrimental to yeast performance.

Back