Belgian Tripfel--help me pick a yeast~

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toppers

Reaction score
Great extract kits from my local supplier, this one comes with 11 lbs. of fermentables. He gives 4 options for yeast, and I have no clue what to do with. Liquid/dry does not matter, but I always like dry for the savings.

Wyeast 3787 or 1214, White labs wlp530 or safbrew t-58.

I made a Belgian dark strong ale, and used the 3787 yeast. The issue with heavy brews like this, is pitching a good size,, and very active starter. My brew had a OG of 1.108, and it took a long time to ferment out. I even repitched with a fresh starter, when it had stalled out at 1.035. It seemed to like a much warmer temp, for finishing the fermentation. Like 75* - 80* room temp. It did finally finish at 1.023.

Just my experience with the 3787.

Good Luck

I'm not sure if you have the right beers available to do this, but when choosing a yeast for my Belgians, I'd read up on the different ones and narrowed it down to a choice between Chimay yeast or Rochefort yeast. So I tried a bottle of Chimay red next to a bottle of Rochefort 8, and decided I preferred the slightly fruitier taste of the Chimay. That's the one I went with. Apologies I can't remember the specific ID numbers of the yeasts off-hand, but I'm sure Google (or the search option on here) will help.

A propos of making Belgians, if you can get hold of a copy of "Brew Like A Monk" by Stan Hieronymous, you should - it's outstanding, and worth every penny.

Latest posts

Back