Belgian Session Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
I am trying to build a Belgian session , or single, ale. I was thinking of the following:::
Brew house efficiency-68%
7# Belgian Pale Malt
8oz Special-B
4oz CaraVienne
1# clear candy sugar or syrup

Mash@155
.75oz Saaz @60
1.0oz Saaz @15
0.25oz Saaz @5

Wyeast Belgian Abbey-II

Any thoughts or suggestions??

I am trying to end up around 4% to 4.5% ABV so increasing the malt might throw me over that.. What do you like about the Styrian Goldings?

Looks good to me I really like the Abbey II if you like it and rebrew it try some American hops I like Amarillo and Citra you don't need a lot they just add a nice twist to the beer.

Looks pretty good.

I have done a couple sessionable Belgians and took a slightly different approach. I did not use any sugar, since I did not want to dry it out too much, and wanted to retain some body. Added some wheat to add to the body and mashed slightly higher.

I liked how that turned out.

@beergolf - listen to this dude. He might be even more familiar with easy drinking Belgians than I....

What temp are you fermenting at? That will determine a lot of the character of a Belgian beer

What temp are you fermenting at? That will determine a lot of the character of a Belgian beer

So true. Each Belgian yeast definitely has different flavor profiles.

Just be careful with 1762. It is a yeast that can throw fusels if it gets too hot too soon. In my experience it is the most temp sensitive of the Belgian yeasts. With most Belgian yeasts you can get a lot of flavor by ramping up the temp, but 1762 does not like it so much if it is done too early. Pitch at the low end of the suggested temp range and hold it in the high 60's for a couple of days. Then you can slowly ramp it up.

Tastes can vary, but I really like 3787 a lot.

I was planning on fermenting at about 67*..

I also like the idea of backing off the sugar and increasing the grains to include some flaked wheat

Yeah, I would back off on the candi sugar if you want to keep it a session beer. 10-15% wheat malt would provide a good mouthfeel backbone without being excessively turbid. I wouldn't use flaked wheat unless you're going to complement it with some fruitier esters.

Saaz definitely fits the profile. But it might be interesting to use something fruity like Citra for the last 5-10 min of the boil.

Imo candi sugar is to boost the abv of Belgian style beers while also drying then out and providing more flavor than table sugar. I wouldn't use it in a session

I have had good luck with ginger, paradise seeds, and coriander in my "sessionable" Belgians, depending on how fancy you want to get.

The only other thing I would say is don't be afraid to ramp that fermentation temp up

The only other thing I would say is don't be afraid to ramp that fermentation temp up

That advice should be given with the understanding that the temp be held down for a couple of days. The yeast the OP mentions is very prone to producing fusels if it gets too hot to fast.

I took that advice of Belgian yeasts like it hot, when I was a beginner brewer and ramped a batch of brew using 1762 up to 78 right from the start. Produced an almost undrinkable brew. Other yeasts can get warmer faster but not the yeast that the OP is planning on using.

I ended up with WLP530 as my lhbs did not have anything else.. Removed all sugar and subbed Sterling for Saaz.. Looking to dry hop with Sterling as well.. Mashed at 156* and have it in swamp cooler at 66* right now--- just brewed today

Back