Belgian Schelde Ale Yeast - Wyeast 3655 produce sour flavors for anyone else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I used the wyeast belgian schelde yeast for a belgian rye pa. made a 2 liter starter 3 days prior to pitching. Fermented @around 65-70 for 8 days and I just transferred it to secondary after the o.g went from 1.064 to 1.018. Anyways I tasted it during transfer and it definitely has a sour aroma and a semi sour taste. Has anyone else used this yeast and had a sour profile to their beer?

Used it in a AHS Belgian Schelde Ale (Partial Mash Kit) back in March of 2012. This was my first jump back into brewing after a significant pause. I probably made a bunch of mistakes during the brewing and primary (swamp cooler). Tried it every couple months and after a year I think it is starting to get really good. I have not noticed any sour aroma or taste with the 4-5 bottles I have cracked. Originally the taste was what you would expect from a young beer and it seems like the malt flavor is becoming more pronounced and much more mellow. The aroma is there, but I think I would characterize it as very subtle. I bottled it in Grolsch bottles.

sour is definitely not a characteristic of this yeast and most likely there is something else going on:

SOUR-ACIDIC

CHARACTERISTICS: Another of the basic tastes. This is perceived on the sides of the tongue towards the back of the mouth. At higher levels it can be felt all the way down the throat. Generally in beer this is perceived as a sour aroma and a tartness or vinegarlike aroma. Bacteria contamination sourness can also be perceived as spoilage or putrefaction.

CHEMISTRY: Caused by lactobacillus, pediococcus, acetobacter and some yeast strains.

HIGH CONTENT DUE TO PROCESS: Poor sanitization; bad yeast strain; too much corn sugar; excessive amounts of citric or ascorbic acid; high fermentation temperatures; excessive acid rest; mashing too long; use of wooden spoon in cooled wort or fermentation; storage at warm temperatures; scratched plastic fermenter.

LOW CONTENT DUE TO PROCESS: Good sanitization; stainless steel equipment and spoons; cool fermentation temperatures; cool beer storage; mashing for not more than two hours; glass carboy fermenter

Back