Belgian IPA is not clear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itfaster

Reaction score
is it normal? my Belgian IPA (from Midwest supplies) is not clear even 3 weeks after bottling. I did leave some bottle without pouring all into my glasses.

This is my 2nd batch. My 1st batch is American Wheat bear, it was very clear after pouring into glasses.

Please help.

Consider fining agents, like irish moss (or whirlfloc or carageenan, all the same) during boil or gelatin before bottling. Cold crashing for a couple of days before bottling makes a big difference for me, especially with gelatin (love that stuff).

Almost all my bottle condition beers took 1-2 months to become clear if I didn't cold crash prior to bottling. An if it was a heavy late/dry hopped IPA the haze is most likely from the hop oils. They will fade over time but so will the flavor.

Sent from my iPhone

Take your bucket/carboy and stick it in a fridge at like 37-40 degrees for 48 hours. Works great. Just remember to bring the beer back up to room temp before your bottle. Unless it's going into a keg then it dosent matter.

Sent from my iPhone

Take your bucket/carboy and stick it in a fridge at like 37-40 degrees for 48 hours. Works great. Just remember to bring the beer back up to room temp before your bottle.

You will have enough yeast in suspension either way, just give it a full 7-10 days to carb. I have cold crashed below freezing (slightly, anyway, outdoors--little bit of ice on top, oops) for two or more days and still had plenty of yeast to carb. I did let the ice melt, though. :)

Back