Belgian IPA brew day disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
So i make 15 gallon batches of beer, I use a 100 quart igloo cooler for a mash tun and I set it on a folding table on brew day. So my mash went on just fine and as i added 12 gallons of 185 degree sparge water boom!!! The table legs buckled and threw the cooler down breaking the hinges and soaking me and alot of the garage floor with burning hot mash.

Long story short i recovered and was able to salvage 13 gallons of 1.075 OG belgian IPA. I am about two gallons short and its happily fermenting right now.

What can i add to help get me closer to 15 gallons total? I am thinking fruit puree or juice

Why is it so important to get to 15 gallons? 13 gallons should keep you busy.

You could always add DME and water if you really want 15 gallons. You could also add table sugar and water for a drier version of the same beer.

Agree with the others..let it ride as it is and call it "Oops IPA".

Glad no one was hurt or scalded during the accident!
:mug:

Well i like to get three full kegs when possible. I am sure dry hops will eat up some of my volume as well. I suppose I should be happy I am no seriously injured and that I was able to salvage quite a bit of beer.

I ended up with mild burns on my arms and torso. I was soaked in hot mash it was sticky. Thank goodness I have a drain in my garage so using a hose, shop vac and lots of mean green cleaner I think the mess is taken care of.

What's it fermenting in? Do you have the ability to do some split batches? Fruit IPA sounds kinda gross to me, but you could add fruit to one fermenter to try it without affecting the whole batch. Another possibility would be to just dilute one carboy and call it a Grisette.

What's it fermenting in? Do you have the ability to do some split batches? Fruit IPA sounds kinda gross to me, but you could add fruit to one fermenter to try it without affecting the whole batch. Another possibility would be to just dilute one carboy and call it a Grisette.

Its in a single conical fermenter at this point. I have had mango and apricot IPA's that where both excellent. However, this is already somewhat more complex in that I used Belgian Yeast and Candi Sugar.

This is the Permo-Mash-Method....not related to double decoction, but equally intimidating to the beginner. The abrupt elevation change of the mashing vessel has some affect on attenuation, though it is imperceptible. A feather in the hat none-the-less.

Well done Sir. Well done.

Its in a single conical fermenter at this point. I have had mango and apricot IPA's that where both excellent. However, this is already somewhat more complex in that I used Belgian Yeast and Candi Sugar.

I would go with two full kegs of the beer as is. Then do an experimental secondary with the remaining 3 gallons, whether you want to do it with fruit or table sugar etc.

I would go with two full kegs of the beer as is. Then do an experimental secondary with the remaining 3 gallons, whether you want to do it with fruit or table sugar etc.

Awesome. That is a great idea. Also think two kegs of IPA is adequate. It goes south quickly as the hops fade

Back