belgian golden strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmoneyismyfriend

Reaction score
I brewed this a few months ago and was going to keg today, but my f.g. is off by about .015. I am going to pitch more yeast and let if finish. I have a pack of Super Yeast on hand, should I use it or run and get the belgian golden ale yeast. I hit my target o.g. of 1.086, the f.g. was to be around 1.021, I am at 1.036, the beer is sweet and I don't detect quite the belgian flavor I thought I might.

I brewed this a few months ago and was going to keg today, but my f.g. is off by about .015. I am going to pitch more yeast and let if finish. I have a pack of Super Yeast on hand, should I use it or run and get the belgian golden ale yeast. I hit my target o.g. of 1.086, the f.g. was to be around 1.021, I am at 1.036, the beer is sweet and I don't detect quite the belgian flavor I thought I might.

You're probably not going to get the belgian flavor at this point. You can use any yeast to finish it, so long as it will tolerate the alcohol. I recommend us-05. If by super yeast you mean WLP 099 Super High Gravity, I find it finicky and wouldn't use it for this project. There's no need to use a pack of premium yeast to finish out a fermentation.

Thanks for the reply, the Super yeast is Liquor Quik Super Yeast X-press. I opted to run and get the wlp-570. I don't want to deal with the need for another secondary and adding the clarifiers needed for the Super Yeast. I'm going to be bummed if this doesn't turn out. I wonder of the sugars added to the end of the boil doomed my fermentation? I have attached the recipe if any one is interested.

View attachment Gulden Draak Clone - Beer Recipe Brewer's Friend.pdf

It could be that adding the sugar to primary didn't work, but it's hard to know what stalled it. I don't know the yeast well myself, so I can't say whether this is unusual behavior.

For what it is worth, I would be careful about adding a dense syrup to a beer in primary. I think a better plan would be to add it to the chilled wort and stirring it really well at the same time you pitch. You can't safely stir it in primary without risk of oxidation, but if you don't stir it, you run a risk that the yeast floculates before the syrup is fully dissolved. I'm not saying that adding it to primary is a really bad idea, just that it carries a few risks.

Back