Belgian Dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NavyEOD

Reaction score
Howdy Gents, I am a newbie to brewing as well as to the forum. I recently brewed my first batch and about to brew my next one, which is a Belgian Dubbel. I have an extract kit that I purchased online with all the ingredients I need, but it came with generic instructions. I am mostly curious about how long I let it ferment, how long I should let it sit in a secondary and what I need to do to it during that time, and when I should bottle it. If anyone has any idea I would greatly appreciate the help.

Let it sit in the primary for 2-3 weaks take some hydro readings, when it stays the same over three consecutive readings it is done fermenting. If you want to use a secondary transfer at this point and let it condition for whatever length of time you feel is neccesary or just leave it in the primary. Then bottle/ keg and enjoy. The hydrometer is your friend take readings and go from there.

I have a Dubbel in secondary right now. I left it in primary for 3 weeks and it's now been in secondary for 2.5 - I was going to bottle today but ran out of time. Not that my technique is superior, but I think austin is right - whatever feels right to you if you decide to go secondary.

Give it a month in the primary then straight to bottling. If you have the ability, pitch cool then let the temperature rise.

I did a Chimay Red awhile back, and left it in primary for 4-5 weeks and then bottled. It took almost 6 weeks to fully carbonate but now has been aging for probably 5-6 months and gets better every week. Just be patient with it. This was my first beer that actually made me appreciate the whole process, including being very patient.

I wanted to thank everyone for giving a little input towards helping me with this. I think my brewing buddy and I are going to pull a little bit of advice from everyone's and see how it turns out. I think I have been a little too anxious to make every batch perfect and just realize that if I mess it up I will just mark it up as a lesson learned. Thanks fellas.

I have brewed a Tripel so I have some familiarity with the Belgian style ales. I would let it ferment for at least three weeks in your primary. After that you can take a gravity reading to see where it's at and wait a few days and take another reading to see if the yeast is done. This beer isn't necessary for you to siphon into a secondary so you can bottle when the yeast is done. If you store your bottles at room temperature I wouldn't think it would take more than two or three weeks to fully carbonate. However, since this is a bigger beer and Dubbels and Tripels age well I would recommend letting it age for three months before even cracking one open. These are absolutely delicious!

Good luck,
D

Back