Belgian Dubbel with a ton of yeast in the bottle??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierbrauer

Reaction score
Just bottled a Belgian Dubbel a couple of weeks ago and I just noticed that there is a ton of yeast/sediment that has settled to the bottom of the bottles. It appears to be yeast along with some hop residue. I didn’t notice this when bottling for some reason.

Anyone have any comments as to whether this will greatly affect the ageing potential of such a beer?? I’m now thinking drink it as soon as it is ready since the seds might start harming the beer after a time...

The last Dubbel I made (same recipe) tasted best after six months in the bottled!!

first what do you consider "a ton of yeast"? there will always be a yeast cake at the bottom of your bottles. its harmless and wont wreck your beer just try not to drink it. it has a laxative property.

second how long did you let it ferment before you bottled? bottling to early will give you more yeast in the bottle than normal because the yeast are still floating around and you chilled them and they flocked out.

Back