Belgian Dubbel Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qbrew0516

Reaction score
I am new to posting, although I have learned much from the collective wisdom on this forum. I am relatively new to all grain brewing, but have been brewing on and off for several years. Recently I brewed an all grain Belgian Dubbel based on a recipe from seriouseats.com, of all places. We more or less hit the numbers estimated through Beersmith: original gravity (1.072 estimated to 1.071 measured) and final gravity (1.012 estimated to 1.013 measured). The beer fermented for 35 days before we kegged it over the weekend (and then moved about a gallon from the keg to a bottling bucket for filling a few bottles).

That was the context, now for my question. The beer tasted fine before we kegged. I forced carbonated the beer in the keg for about 24 hours. I tasted it today, and although certainly not fully carbonated, it had an almost unbearable aftertaste. The taste is difficult to describe exactly, but I think it’s best described as a vomit taste. The aroma was normal, like I would expect a beer fermented with a Belgian yeast. The smell was certainly not unctuous in any way. After tasting the beer from the keg, I had to try one of the bottles, and it tasted normal, although significantly less carbonated. Of course I fear contamination from the Keg because that’s the obvious explanation. But what type of contamination causes that effect? And is there any possible way that, perhaps, I just need to let it age?

Long post. Grateful for any feedback

Was it a new keg? Did you clean and sanitize it? That seems to be the issue.

I had a dubbel take on a Pepsi flavor with one of my kegs the first time I put a beer in that corney- sucked but I learned my lesson about used kegs.

I bought the keg new, but this was about the 4th beer I've put in it. I cleaned the keg and lines using the PBW brew wash , and then rinsed, and then ran starstan through lines until the keg was empty. My fear is I didn't adequately wash the dip tube or perhaps the posts. Any idea what might cause the off taste without a corresponding change in aroma?

An 8% beer is not going to develop an off-flavor from a contaminating organisation in 24 hours; or even 24 days. If you have an off-favor it is from something that was in the keg or lines.

Disconnect the keg and pull a sample straight from the keg and see if you get the same. It may help you figure out the source of the problem.

Back