Belgian Dubbel - can I get a critique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeasu

Reaction score
This is assuming my relatively low efficiency of about 57% (no sparge brewer):

(Belgian) Pils Malt 12.375 lb
Munich Malt 2.625 lb
Caramunich 1.75 lb
Special B 0.875 lb
Dark Candi Sugar 1 lb
Styrian Goldings 1.5 oz (60 min)

WLP 500

Planning on dough-in at 104° for 20 min, single step infusion at 150-152° / 60 min. Thoughts on fermentation temp? Keep it low for the first few days of fermentation?

Aiming for oh, 7-7.5% abv when all is said and done.

Looking forward to this - one of my best extract beers was a dubbel, and that was before going all grain and temp control.

Speaking as someone who has been lucky enough to make a few great dubels, but claims no real expertise:

- Why the caramunich. that is just adding a lot of unfermentables, which will leave a high FG - and you want it low. You have the Special B, I'd just stick with that and leave out the CaraM.

- I guess you are looking at around a 1.070 OG I'd go at least 20% simple sugars I think I would add either anothe lb of dark candi, or a pound of plain table sugar. This will help get a low FG.

- I'd mash lower, about 148.

......... I have to say, 57% is lousy efficiency. I get 85%, which means I can make the same beer with 12 lbs of grain rather than 17.5 lbs. That is a big difference,

- WLP500 is a great yeast, but are you trying to start a war asking what temperature to use it at. You will get plenty of opinions. I have a tripel going right now with that yeast. I started at 68/69, in a water bath to control the temp. Fermentation started within 12 hours. At 24 hours, and every day after, I increase the temp by 2 degrees. I will hold it at 80 F for a few days, and then lower the temp at the same rate. I'm not hurrying this beer, it will be 6+ weeks before it gets bottled.

My current 'dubble' recipe is based on a regular belgian ale, but with 180L syrup instead of clear. It's got a lighter body and is less sweet than what is usually called a dubble, because I am not using any intentionally unfermentable grains in it, but it's been a hit with almost everyone.
approx 10lb light 2-row, to desired strength
1lb wheat malt
mash at 152
1 or 2 lb 180L syrup near end of boil, as desired
1oz NB full boil, 1oz saaz for 10min, and flameout 1oz celia

I've made it with T58 and abbaye yeasts. T58 takes a while to mellow, but some people have said they really like the strong yeast character it gives even at 66F. Abbaye is milder and may be more appropriate for a sweetish dubble. I will be using WLP500 next as I have it on hand.

Back