Belgian dark strong bottling conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MG1602

Reaction score
Have a Belgian strong that is ready to bottle.

17lb Belgian pilsner
8oz caramunich
4oz aromatic
2 oz honey malt
2oz chocolate malt
Wyeast 1388 triple starter
68 degrees

1.092-1.018
1month primary and one month secondary.

What is the proper carbonation? I am going pitch a WLP570 vial when I bottle and add a little cinnamon (1/8 tsp)
I have about 4.5 gallons.

Thanks in advance.

This website says Belgian strong ale @ 1.9-2-4. This does not sound right at all.

Just following an article I read in BYO. 10% ABV 2 months post fermentation. I don't want the carbonation to fail.

2.6 - 3 is what I usually shoot for in all my Belgians. A vial or half a pack of wine or champagne yeast is always good insurance but you'd be fine sucking in a little yeast as you siphon also being that young.

I would recommend repitching with about .3-.5 packets of dry yeast. A trick that I have been doing is making the priming solution a few hours in advance, the when it is cool add the yeast to that and rack on top. It mixes the yeast more thoroughly when you can rack on top of it compared to adding the yeast on top at the end of racking

I'd target 2.5-3 volumes, but you have to keep the bottles cool. Typical longneck bottles at 3 volumes+ tend to explode if you (accidentally) warm them up quickly. Oh, and don't use wine yeast. A quarter pack of dry ale yeast will do fine.

I'd target 2.5-3 volumes, but you have to keep the bottles cool. Typical longneck bottles at 3 volumes+ tend to explode if you (accidentally) warm them up quickly. Oh, and don't use wine yeast. A quarter pack of dry ale yeast will do fine.

Why not ? Me and countless others around here in wine country have used wine yeast and champagne yeast to bottle condition high gravity beers for years without ill effects. Most wine yeasts and ale yeasts are the same creature.

I would also go 2.5-3 volumes. Maybe a little above 3 if you want it well carbonated and you are bottling in thicker bottles.

I bottled two beers, both around 10% that sat in primary for about 3 months each with no additional yeast at bottling. All bottles carbonated fine, it just took a while. However it took these beers about a year to mellow so carbonation speed was a non-issue for me.

Why not ? Me and countless others around here in wine country have used wine yeast and champagne yeast to bottle condition high gravity beers for years without ill effects. Most wine yeasts and ale yeasts are the same creature.

Personally, I've found champagne yeast give off a surprising amount of flavor that I don't want in a particular beer when used to prime. If it's REALLY high gravity, out of spec of most yeasts, I'll use an imperial blend. But for a belgian, champagne will likely be good.

Back