Belgian Dark Strong Ale Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spotmon

Reaction score
Hello all, I brewed a Belgian dark strong ale according to this recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...-strong-dark-ale-beer-homebrewing-recipe.html

My O.G was spot on at 1.091. I made a yeast starter with Wyeast 3787, however my stir plate broke so i was just sloshing it around in my flask every once in a while. Approximately 11 hours after pitching fermentation started, mind you it has been the most active fermentation i have ever seen. Active fermentation lasted a couple days. It slowed down tremendously after those couple days. I took a SG reading about a week in, and the SG dropped to 1.040. Now i know this is a big beer and it takes it's sweet time. However i am worried that my yeast wasn't healthy enough, or there simply wasn't enough yeast. I am thinking of waiting another week and taking a SG reading again, if it doesn't go down, should i pitch another starter? Any recommendations?

Let it take its sweet time then, its only been a week. Take another reading in 2 weeks, and decide to worry or not then.

A couple of things. First it has only been a week. Step away from the fermenter and let the yeast work.

Second, 3787 is famous for starting off fast and then slowing down and taking a very long time to finish up. A brew that big with that yeast can take several more weeks to fully finish out.

Latest posts

Back