Belgian caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdog2512

Reaction score
Anyone ever try to seal a belgian bottle with the Tcorks/wine tasters and a wire bale like the Chimay bottles.

image-4254613392.jpg

I have a feeling that the tasting corks don't fit anywhere as close to as tight as a Belgian bottle cork. Have you ever tried to stuff a Belgian cork back in by hand after it has been removed for a couple hours? Next to impossible. I think the pressure in the bottle would leak passed the cork, and prevent a good seal. Those tasting corks aren't made very well anyway. They are basically made to prevent fruit flies or cork-challenged alien creatures from getting into the wine.

I use #9 wine corks and the wire hood. These seem to work good and are easier to put back in than the belgian corks. Also in most cases you can remove them by hand. I use a $15 corker and it works fine for these.

If you are near Philly, I'll trade you some bombers or other cool bottles for Chimay ones.

Back