Belgian Beers...Dry vs Liquid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablotastic

Reaction score
Just wanted to share my limted expieriance.

I did two batches of a Belgian Blonde.....one with a Wyeast Belgian Wit and the other with dry S-33.

Huge differences in taste...the Liquid was much better and the Dry seemed very bland and lacked alot of the good ol Belgian qualities

From experience, S-33 is a very mild yeast when compared to most Belgian strains. I tend to regard it as more of a "general" yeast (sort of like Pacman, S-04, or US-05) with a tad more flavor than a typical pale ale yeast. I've actually used it in a stout with good results.

Got a Belgian Amber Ale finishing up right now with T-58 dry because I suck at starters. First time I've used it though.

Yeah I like the simplicity and reliability of Dry so thats why i tried it on the 2nd batch of Belgian Blonde

I have since made my 1st Yeast Starter and it's definatly not as difficult as i once thought.....and my most recent batch (Belgian IPA Tripel) is chuggin along nicley

Just curious, did you do two seperate batches at different times or split a batch into two and use different yeasts? I have done something similar and had dramatic results too, but was wondering if it was just the yeast or if I maybe did something different during the process. I would say, the 3 beers I have made with dry yeast has been less flavorful than those similar/same with liquid. But like I said, there are so many other variables I can't really contribute it to the yeast alone.

Curious if your Wyeast Belgian Wit is #3944? And your Blonde recipe details? Am interested in the flavors provided by the wit yeast in different ales.

Curious if your Wyeast Belgian Wit is #3944? And your Blonde recipe details? Am interested in the flavors provided by the wit yeast in different ales.

I use 3944 in my Belgian Wit and it comes out fantastic. Ferment it at around 70 and it gives a really good banana flavor that people crave.

On a side not, I used Nottingham on a pale ale for my last brew, and while impressed with the ferocious nature of the fermentation, the neutral nature of it seemed to lack what I like.

From what I know (which isnt much), dry yeast is good and cheap and produces reliable fermentation, but the liquid strains offer more variety and can definitely give your beer the kick you want

Back