Belgian Beer Hangovers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoffmeister

Reaction score
Recently (over the past two years or so), I started to notice a correlation between drinking certain Belgian beers and my hangovers. Specifically, Belgian strong ales seem to be the greatest culprit, but often Belgian-IPAs and other "Belgian inspired" beers have been responsible for some of my most head-splitting, nausea inducing, self hating hangovers. Just to clarify, I'm not talking about putting back several of these beers in a single sitting-usually it's just one amidst a few others, but that seems to be enough to ruin my day. I suspect that it's the inclusion of adjunct sugars that keep the body light and bump up the ABV that is to blame (similar to the reason why cheap macro-brews give many people wicked hangovers).

Is there any truth or science behind this? Has anyone else experienced this, or am I the only one? I'm honestly not a huge fan of the style, so if I need to cut it out it won't be a huge blow, but every now and then they do hit the palate just right. Any input would be appreciated!

I made an agreement with alcohol a few years back. I don't drink enough alcohol to get
really intoxicated, alcohol agreed not to give me any more hangovers.
If you are getting bad headaches and hangovers, perhaps its a good time to cut back on the volume you are drinking?
I think you are on to something concerning the different alcohol produced by adding sugar.
I've stopped adding sugar to my ciders and avoid drinking commercial high ABV beers.
And I too have noticed that I usually feel like crap after sampling a Belgian at a bar, where I feel obligated to drink the whole glass, since I've paid for it.
I make a Belgian quad at home, but only I'll only drink 5-6 oz at a sitting and then switch to a regular strength beverage.
Some folks say beer hangovers don't exist in Germany because they don't use any adjuncts in their beer and absolutely no chemicals.

Last edited:
Madscientist-I've considered that it's my overall intake, and at times, that has admittedly been to blame. However, the last time I experienced this I had one Belgian beer and then, two hours later, two dry Irish-style stouts (approx 5% ABV), and woke up with one of the worst headaches I've ever had. I totally see where you're coming from, but this wasn't the first time that I've experienced this after having a responsible night of drinking. Thanks for the input, and I'm glad that you agree in regards to the adjunct sugars.
Fantomlord-I never considered that it could be the result of fusel alcohols, but that makes a lot of sense. As I'm not real well versed in Belgian/Belgian style beers I'm curious-do these beers typically have elevated levels of fusels?

I noticed the same thing with Asahi Super Dry. I am not sure what their recipe is, but I stopped drinking it as I would have splitting headaches the next day. Fortunately I didn't feel as if I was giving anything up not drinking Super Dry.

A lot of Belgian's let the fermentation temperatures ramp up which would create more fusels, but perhaps sugar additions have something to do with it too.

Or sulphur. At least the little experience I have, Belgian yeasts seem to produce somewhat more (sometimes a LOT more) H2S than most other strains. Maybe it is some residual sulphur that is aggrevating vascular dilation with a hangover.

H2S is actually produced in your body in tiny amounts as a vasodilator. So I'd imagine extra consumption of it would lead to increased vasodilation and a headache. At least in some people.

Other possibility is you just aren't drinking enough water when you are pounding back beers with a few dry belgians in there.

The idea that sugar or other adjuncts is the culprit seems absurd to me..... Sugar and other adjuncts designed to bump the alcohol are simply fermented into alcohol like the malt, but more completely.

My take would be the byproducts of the Belgian yeasts...... particularly at elevated temps. They clearly are very "dirty" yeasts, leaving lots of byproducts.......... We use them for this reason. The extra crap they produce is what gives Belgian beers their distinct character. Some ladies are attracted to sweaty stinky athletes, some beer drinkers to Belgian beers, Lambics, and the like. The stinky smelly sweaty things hard working Belgian yeasts throw off as they enthusiastically tackle the cocktails of sugars we give them may offer a taste treat, but they may also leave us with a headache..........

H.W.

Op try having just the Belgian beer (and only 1) for the night and see if you have any reaction.
:mug:

I love them but Belgians wreck me. I have to limit them ans always have.

I deal with chronic restless sleep and after having one of my hb Belgians, I sleep all night long like a baby. No other style I've brewed has this effect.

My daughter, on the other hand, is severely affected by hoppier beers to the extent of migraine/nausea symptoms. She can have other drinks with wheat and yeast in them, but not lots of hops...

Do you get these headaches from commercial, homebrewed, or both types of Belgian beers? If its from a variety of commercial Belgian breweries, I am pretty much stumped. Yes they use adjuncts, but its not been a problem for most people. If its from homebrew, or one specific commercial Belgian brewery, then I would lean towards fusel alcohols.

Belgian strains are often some of the most vigorous yeasties out there and they can generate a lot of heat early on in the fermentation. I start me Belgians around 64F and slowly ramp them up to the low 70's over the course of 7-14 days. If I were to pitch and hold in the 70's early I'm sure I'd be making a fusel bomb and have the same issues.

The idea that sugar or other adjuncts is the culprit seems absurd to me..... Sugar and other adjuncts designed to bump the alcohol are simply fermented into alcohol like the malt, but more completely.

My take would be the byproducts of the Belgian yeasts...... particularly at elevated temps. They clearly are very "dirty" yeasts, leaving lots of byproducts.......... We use them for this reason. The extra crap they produce is what gives Belgian beers their distinct character. Some ladies are attracted to sweaty stinky athletes, some beer drinkers to Belgian beers, Lambics, and the like. The stinky smelly sweaty things hard working Belgian yeasts throw off as they enthusiastically tackle the cocktails of sugars we give them may offer a taste treat, but they may also leave us with a headache..........

I'm with this. Gotta be the yeast.

Are we talking Actual beer from Belgium or American versions?
My experience is that 95% of American versions are loaded w/ sugar and don't seem to be nearly as attenuated as the real deal,In other words they are sugar bombs.
Authentic Belgian beer (generally) ages a lot longer than the U.S. 3 week from pot to glass styles.
I've had some good versions outside of those produced in Belgium but here they are far and few between.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I think it's been mostly, if not entirely, American versions of Belgian beers. Given a lot of the comments here, I'm inclined to think that the yeast strain/fermentation is largely to blame, but I still feel like the sugars are partially to blame. I know everyone processes sugars differently, and apparently my body hates the adjunct sugars =\
Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it greatly!

Now that I'm thinking about it, I think it's been mostly, if not entirely, American versions of Belgian beers. Given a lot of the comments here, I'm inclined to think that the yeast strain/fermentation is largely to blame, but I still feel like the sugars are partially to blame. I know everyone processes sugars differently, and apparently my body hates the adjunct sugars =\
Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it greatly!

Your body probably is not even remotely aware of the "adjunct sugars". Those sugars ferment out completely to alcohol unlike malt. It appears to me that you started this thread with a conclusion and are determined to stick to it....... It is in no way a logical conclusion. This is much like a discussion between a Christian and an Atheist. Both have already made up their minds and no argument however logical or rational will sway them.

H.W.

I have the same problem but it is with wee heavys and other Scottish ales. I'm pretty sure the phenols are to blame, but I know that if I have a Scottish ale I will be miserable the next morning, even if it is the only beer I have that night. Oddly, scotch whiskey doesn't do that to me, but anything with peated malt absolutely kills me. Alas, I love Scotch Ales but they don't love me back

Your body probably is not even remotely aware of the "adjunct sugars". Those sugars ferment out completely to alcohol unlike malt. It appears to me that you started this thread with a conclusion and are determined to stick to it....... It is in no way a logical conclusion. This is much like a discussion between a Christian and an Atheist. Both have already made up their minds and no argument however logical or rational will sway them.

H.W.

I'm probably reading too much into this, but I can't help but feel a little like I'm being attacked, or at least ridiculed. You make a good argument for the yeast and fermentation being to blame, and I agreed with you-how is that indicative of me sticking to my original viewpoint and not being able to listen to reason? If I came in with some incorrect assumptions, I apologize. Thanks for setting me straight.

I have noticed that since I went to mainly Homebrew I have had fewer hangovers. I think that some of the preservatives in commercial brews are partly to blame. Fusels (produced at higher temps) can be a sure cause of a hangover. http://www.chemistryviews.org/detai...ver__Alcohol_and_its_Consequences_Part_3.html

If the Belgian beer has been fermented at the top end of it's fermentation range it could have high concentrations of fusels. I also have heard from friends who made hooch in the desert, that they got wicked hangovers from the fusels produced by the bread yeast...

I enjoy Saisons and have been fermenting them in the 80s with a yeast that tops out at 90F. Me and my friends have not noticed any after effects from them. I typically use some corn sugar to get them to 6%. I have also made a Belgian IPA (9.6%) and a Barleywine (10.6%) with the same yeast and temps.

Also after reading this http://www.realfarmacy.com/8-beers-that-you-should-stop-drinking-immediately/ it makes you wonder is in the rest of the commercial brews...

But all your talk of phenols causing hair-aches has got me thinking. How can it be anything but the alcohol causing it? Vodka causes hangovers, beer causes hangovers. The only two ingredients those two have in common are alcohol and water (disregarding negligible amounts of fusels), so by simple deduction it must be one of these two causing it. And since I've never woken up, regretting having drunk that much water the night before, I just have to conclude that the alcohol alone must be at fault.
Am I on to something, or is this too simple an argument?

Back