Strawberry Shortcake/Key Lime Pie Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagicMike314

Reaction score
Hi all!

As a married individual with kids and plenty of other day to day activities, the amount of free brewing time I have is very limited! I have aspirations of making a strawberry shortcake recipe, as well as a key lime pie recipe. Many friends and family are not huge beer drinkers, so these are the types of beers that seem to be a hit! With the two inspirations being semi close (fruity desserts), I am choosing to try to make both in one go. I'll boil everything together and then split the recipes in half in the fermenters where I'll flavor each differently. Maybe not the smartest but like I said, short on brew time! Please leave any critiques or comments on the info/recipes below.

5 Gallon Recipe

5 lb Wheat DME
1 lb American Caramel / Crystal 10L
.5 lb Flaked Wheat
.5 lb Biscuit Malt

1 oz Hull Mellon (10 min)
1 oz Motueka (10 min)

Safale US-05

Key Lime Pie (2.5 gal)
2 oz Key Lime Zest - (Secondary)
2 oz Key Lime Juice - (Secondary)
1 Pod Vanilla Bean - (Secondary)
1 oz Graham Cracker Extract - (Bottling)
.5 lb Lactose (Bottling)
Lime Oil Flavoring (from Loranne's Oils) will be on hand for taste if flavor is too underwhelming at bottling

Strawberry Shortcake (2.5 gal)
4 lb Frozen Strawberries (Secondary)
2 Pods Vanilla Bean - (Secondary)
.5 lb Lactose (Bottling)
Strawberry Flavoring will be on hand at bottling as well

Any suggestions for trying to mimic more of a "dessert" taste and less of just a fruit beer? Thanks!

Any reason that you're saving the lactose until bottling?
I've never really used it, so just curious...

It's not fermentable, so I would think you could add it at the end of the boil
to make sure it dissolves fully...

Back