Belgian Beer = Bologna?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alcibiades

Reaction score
I have been drying to describe what belgian beer tastes like for years, and now I've finally found it.

Last night, this non-beer drinking girl we were hanging out with tried a delirium tremens and immediately said "yuck, that tastes and smells like bologna!." I was amused at first, but then I took another sip and realized that she is exactly right....

Anyone else agree?

I can't say I will try that beer ever, especially now...BUT I bet it would be a perfect pairing with this food...AND.. I get to destroy the misconception that sweet baby ray's honey BBQ sauce is good because it tastes like hot dogs, especially on chicken wings!!!

Please note: SBR normal BBQ sauce is super yummy...:rockin:

I had a homebrewed version of it and it was very good, but haven't had the authentic version yet. Have to try it now and find out.

Yes. A friend of mine said this about Blue Moon the first time he tried it. I thought he was right and I haven't been able to drink the beer since. Several years later, another friend of mine homebrewed a wit, and it was definitely bologna beer! Perhaps it's just the wit yeast for me, because I haven't noticed it in any tripel, BGS, dubbel, etc.

It kinda sucks when somebody points something out like that. It totally ruined the style for me.

St. Bernardus 12 off the tap smells like urinal cakes, like EXACTLY.

It's definitely one to always get out of the bottle.

Now that you've mentioned it, I have had a few bologna-ish beers.

Now if only urinal cakes smelled like bologna, that'd be something. I think you're on to something there...

Coriander, the spice used in Blue Moon (and Belgian Witbier in general) is often the predominate seasoning in hot dogs. Perhaps it is in bologna as well?

(is there coriander in DT?)

I agree 100%!!

I do not like bologna.

I do not like DT.

Therefore, DT tastes like bologna.

(postmodern philosophy at it's finest)

Coriander, the spice used in Blue Moon (and Belgian Witbier in general) is often the predominate seasoning in hot dogs. Perhaps it is in bologna as well?

You might be on to something..

Hmm, the oldest brought home a DT last night, we shared it and thought it was nothing special although smooth for a 8.5% beer. Didn't see anything about coriander on the bottle and didn't think it tasted like bologna. I find my taste buds are different daily, so maybe if I have one again it will be bologna, we will re-use the nice bottle for some lambic this fall.:mug:

My Mom calls hefeweizens "ham beer" because to her the clove flavor reminds her of christmas ham. I can see where she is coming from but I still drink the occasional hefe.

It's all about perception of taste. My Mom associates ham with hefes because the only other time she's tasted cloves is on ham. Others may associate a wit with bologna because that's the only other place they've tasted corriander.

Bachelor cookery at its finest:

I added some black cardamom to some rice pudding I had left out overnight. The result tasted eerily like hot hogs. They must put black cardamom and lactic acid in hotdogs for flavor.

Huh...I had a bologna sandwich last night with some cheese and yellow mustard and it was delicious.

That's interesting that they use it in hot dogs, I've never tasted it in the meat. I still remember the first impression Blue Moon gave me was "pancake".

Back