Belgian aromatic malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could sub a pound of Munich or maybe 2oz of Melanoidin or you could try your hand at a little decoction mashing....

Half as much melanoidin and match that with dark Munich to make up the difference in the grain bill.

You want to replace 4 ozs Aromatic.

I think I'd go with 1 lbs of Munich. I assume you are mashing.

I can't find any locally and a recipe calls for 4 ounces. What's a decent substitute, 20°L Munich? Victory or biscuit malt?

what is the rest of the grain bill, what kind of beer?

4oz out of 8 or 10 pounds may not have much impact if there are other strong flavor character malts being used, if the grain bill is mostly light base malt getting closer to the flavor of aromatic may be more important.

Honey malt is somewhat similar, both give a nice strong malty smell in the mash.

Belgian Tripel (4 gallons)

8 lbs pilsner malt
4 oz aromatic malt
4 oz acid malt
2 lbs sugar

I'm pretty sure I could just leave out the aromatic malt, but I'd rather substitute something close.

Belgian Tripel (4 gallons)

8 lbs pilsner malt
4 oz aromatic malt
4 oz acid malt
2 lbs sugar

I see no reason for either the acid or aromatic malt.

The Aromatic will add some body, which seems out of place in a Tripel, but I would add 1 lb of Munich in its place if I was replacing it. Aromatic to me seems like like concentrated Munich.

I don't agree with ba-brewer on the honey malt comparison. Honey Malt is very assertive with its flavor; I do not like any beers with Honey malt (I really do not like the flavor), but I have no issue with Aromatic.

Honey malt definitely has a distinct flavour and I wouldn't consider it a good sub.

Victory is also not a good sub Imo either, too sweet and too dark. A nice malt but not a sub for aromatic.

Weyerman abbey is the closest thing, though 1/4 pound isn't going to contribute much. 1/2 would better.

The inclusion of acid malt is to lower the pH, most of my pales use 4oz of acid malt. It all depends on your water profile though.

Leaving the aromatic out may not be a big deal as the yeast will produce a lot of the flavor to the beer if you allow the temp to rise some.

Your recipe looks pretty close to the triple recipe in Brewing Classic Style, which is 80% base malt, 19% sugar and 4 oz of aromatic for a 5 gal batch. In general the beers I have made from Jamil's recipes have turned out well.

I guess my taste buds are not sensitive enough to pick up the unique flavors of honey malt or I have never got any of the good stuff. I can tell for sure when it is the grain bill while I am grinding the grain or mashing in by the strong malted milk balls like aroma and that smells to me like when I use aromatic or abbey. The BJCP for a belgian triple does mention an occasional very light honey note in the flavor section.

Back