Belgian Ardennes 3522 - Speed of ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenCL

Reaction score
So I started fermenting on 7/3/16 , OG 1.063

Wyeast Belgian Ardennes 3522

I did make a 1.5 lire starter.

There has been zero airlock action I have noticed, unless its all happening over one night and while Im at work and im missing it.

A krausen did form by the next day. I could see it through the semi transparent fermenter and the lid, and lasted for at least 3 days.

I check in on it on12/3/16 , the krausen has fallen and on checking gravity it is 1.013 , which is what Beersmith thinks should be estimated FG.

Obviously I will let it sit longer and re check, and also let it clean up. Probably leave it another week before checking gravity again.

I guess my question is, is this too fast? Could it be over and done in only 5 days??

I have used Ardennes yeast 2 times.

1st Time
OG 1.066
Day 8 1.013
Day 11 1.011
Day 17 1.010

2nd Time
OG 1.064
Day 16 1.014
Day 19 1.009

Both were similar recipes with table sugar used to dry the beer out.

Big healthy starters can ferment batches fast. I've had batches with other yeast finish in 2-3 days from 1.060+.

Indeed.

WY3787 from last Saturday fermented a batch of Dubbel from 1.075 to 1.010 in 4.5 days.

And that was with just a proofed, fresh smack pack.

I know this is an old thread but ever since I got a couple of Tilt Hydrometers, I am finding that most of my beers, even up to 1.100, are hitting their FG in 3-5 days. 1.050 and less are there in as little as 48 hours after pitching. I always pitch healthy, appropriately sized, starters, add yeast nutrient 15 minutes prior to the end of the boil, and dose the chilled wort with 2-3 minutes of pure oxygen at 0.5ml/min but even I was surprised with how quickly FG is typically reached. Mind you, I also let them batches sit for a while to clean up.

Latest posts

Back