Belgian Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPostman

Reaction score
Howdy hbt
After perusing BAA recipes, specifically a few Fat Tire clones, I concocted a custom mix and wanted a little feedback.

6 lb golden light DME
1 lb munich
1 lb victory
.5 lb crystal 80
.25 coffee malt
.25 chocolate malt
1 oz willamette 4.9%
1 oz fuggle 4%
1 tsp irish moss
wyeast 1272

a quick note on the coffee/chocolate malt. I originally wanted .5 lb of pale chocolate, butt hey didn't have that and the gal at the HBS suggested either going full coffee (for the lighter color) or mixing the two. I opted to mix them.

Steep grains for 30 min at 154
begin boil and add DME
1 oz willamette @ 60
.5 oz fuggle @20
irish moss @ 15
.5 oz fuggle @ 5

5 gallon batch size. Estimated OG is 1.060, and FG is 1.014 I believe.
Given the ingredients I've listed is there any change you'd make? This is as custom as I've come so far, so any feedback would be nice. I've never made a hops schedule before so I'm still getting the hang of how it works. Thanks in advance.
Cheers!

If you want to make a Belgian, you need to use a Belgian yeast. Somethiing like 3787 or 1214 would be a much better choice. 1272 with that grain bill will make a nice amber ale.

Add some sugar to help dry it out some. 10-15 % would be good for that. So drop some of the DME and use sugar.You can use plain sugar, turbinado or even Candi syrup. Depends on how dark you want it to be.

Hops... pick something more like Saaz or styrian golding ot hallertau. Go for a BU/GU ratio in the .35 range. I like to get 2/3 of my IBU's at 60 and the other 1/3 at 30.

Back