Belgian ales, kegged and high carb levels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefleck

Reaction score
So Belgian ales are commercially typically bottled and pretty highly carbonated in general. If you are kegging your homebrew and try to reach higher carb levels often you get a glass of foam. Anyone ever try an extra long serving hose to mitigate it with any success? Of course then you leave half a beer in the line after each pour.

I have run into this problem before so I tend to bottle my belgians and keg the session beers, but if you are only running one keg on your tank you can store your beer at a higher level of co2 and turn it down to dispense. Just remember to turn it back up after dispensing or it will gradually acclimate to the lower level of co2. I have not had any luck with longer tubes.

I run 20 ft. of 3/16 for Belgian's. Perfect pour without having to dial down the psi.... YMMV

Do you just coil all that line up inside the fridge? It's something that i would certainly consider doing. And what psi are you storing/dispensing at?

My line is coiled up in the fridge. If you make the coil to tight foam will continue to be an issue. I like my Belgian's at around 3 volumes, so I run 17 psi at 38 degrees.

Back