Belgian ale, I'm trying and failing.. but now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I haven't updated on this. Yes of course there are a huge variety of Belgian ales and me saying "I don't like Belgians" is probably just showing my ignorance about it.

So yes, I brewed the beer and followed recommendations mentioned above but did a last minute change. I wanted the outcome to be "as clean as possible" (whatever that means) but still with a recognisable Belgian character (also, whatever that means.... I guess it's just something I define as Belgian in my mind). It might be a blasphemy but I first pitched with a package of US05 and when I noticed things started to kick off I added a SNS of WY1762.

The outcome was pretty good, it's my best attempt of something Belgian so far and good enough for me to want to give it a new try and with some further tweaks. I appreciate all your inputs!

Nice to see you here @chthon . I love and I don't love Belgian ales. The first because they're usually gorgeous and the second because a beer-swilling Englishman like myself doesn't stay standing for very long after a couple of gallons or three. chthon's right; there are as many styles of Belgian ale as there are US beers and its difficult to know what the OP means when he or she says that he likes the character of a particular beer because it doesn't have the flavours that he or she dislikes. I bit more description would be appreciated. In the meantime, I'll check out Bro Thelonius.
@chthon , do you underpitch to increase the POF of the yeast by stressing it a bit?
I underpitch to indeed stress the yeast more, but there also seem to be some references on the internet which say that Belgian yeasts should be underpitched a little, that they give better performance.

On the other hand, since I also ferment open, I think some of the stresses are reduced.

Well, my beers always come out well and keep their taste a long time. Nobody who tastes them ever complains. Let's turn that around: people always ask if they can have more.

Back