Being a professional brewer!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bgunn

Reaction score
I just had to post this. I have been brewing for 3 1/2 years, all grain for a little over 2 and volunteering to do tours and such at a local brewery. 2 weeks ago I was offered a full-time brewing position but was a conductor on the railroad and was not sure I could leave the money that went along with that. At the end of the day I decided the passion (and more consistent schedule) outweighed the pay cut and took the plunge! Today was my first day as a professional brewer and I couldn't be happier!!!!! :ban:

Congrats! Are you at Tallgrass? I see Manhattan, KS... just graduated from there a few years ago. Best of luck!

That's awesome. That is literally all I think about when I am at my "real" job.

I did the exact same thing! Volunteering and lots of homebrewing led to this opportunity for me. If you are really interested in brewing professionally, I think learning as much as possible (including brewing a bunch, reading everything you can, and thinking outside the box and doing things that may not work out but will teach you about the process of experimentation) are great ways to achieve that goal. Volunteering at a local brewery was invaluable for me in forming the relationships that led to a job and sharing homebrew with those people was helpful as well. The most important part was to maintain my passion for great and innovative beer. You can do it!

Bgunn said:
I did the exact same thing! Volunteering and lots of homebrewing led to this opportunity for me. If you are really interested in brewing professionally, I think learning as much as possible (including brewing a bunch, reading everything you can, and thinking outside the box and doing things that may not work out but will teach you about the process of experimentation) are great ways to achieve that goal. Volunteering at a local brewery was invaluable for me in forming the relationships that led to a job and sharing homebrew with those people was helpful as well. The most important part was to maintain my passion for great and innovative beer. You can do it!

One day perhaps. Right now any free time I have goes to family, house, and brewing. Always dare to dream.....and I dream alot.

I got a buddy who is the brewer at a 7bbl op in Louisville. I help him as much as I can. And kegs, "Fall off the Truck", for me on occasion. Makes it even better!:mug:

I may try brewing professionally when/if I retire, ya never know. Right now I'm happy to just get to help once in awhile on my days off.

But I do envy you dude! If it paid better I might make the leap too.

pb --- Good luck and best wishes

ps: Keep us up on the new job, please???

I am sooo jealous! Makes me want to call up Cigar City, and ask if I can volunteer there since it's down the road, and I love their beers. I sure would appreciate a keg of jai Alai IPA falling off the truck for me ;) Good job man!

Quick update...

I have only brewed two days so far (backlog of full fermentors prevented us from doing much more). All I can say is that it has been a blast so far! The concepts are obviously the same as homebrewing, but the details of the process are tricky to pick up. 1,000 lb grain bills and 7.5 lb hop additions are a bit of a step up from my 5 gallon batches.

I will also say that my homebrewing has not, and will not, slow down. I actually think I will be homebrewing more. I have a little bit of time tomorrow morning so I am going to crank through a batch before I go into work. While production brewing professionally is a blast, I still need to let my creative side work and experiment with stuff.

Back