Beginners questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigin31

Reaction score
Ok, So i completed my second batch with different equipment. First was a disaster but I got a new rig. Mash and boil went nice...

5lb Wheat
2 lb Biscuit
Honey
Maple Syrup

Summit at 60 and 30.

Safale Wheat yeast, dry.

But I have some concerns. First, I didnt have a chiller. After 45 minutes I got the wort down to 140. I was concerned that I would pick up some bacteria so I pitched anyways. Would that temp have killed my yeast? Second, I was worried that there was no activity in my fermenter because I had no bubbles in my three piece airlock. Should I have had bubbles? I did take the airlock and stopper out to check on the fermentation, just to peak in, and noticed I had a crap ton of krausen. Is that good? Any help would be appreciated. I hate wasting $15 for new recipes and the wifey isn't fond of my mistakes. Any comments on the recipe? I was going for a breakfast wheat, kinda biscuity and sweet. Next up is a holiday pumpkin ale.

I'm a n00b as well, but I'd suggest taking an OG reading to see if there's any fermentation. If not, repitch and see how things turn out.

140F is WAY too hot. You would kill the yeast at that temperature. If you truely had krausen, then it wasn't 140F.

if you're going to brew all grain, you MUST use a chiller. avoiding contamination is only half the problem. DMS is produced while the wort is still hot, but not being driven off by the rolling boil anymore. the slower you cool the more DMS can build up.

too much DMS leaves your beer with a cooked vegetable/cabbage off flavor.

Don't let your ambition for the hobby bite you in the ass. You've GOT to be organized, prepared, and willing to be more patient than Jesus. rushing beer often results in bad beer that would have otherwise turned out excellent.

firstly, fermentation can take up to 72 hours to start. second with a water/ice bath and not stirring it you should have brought the temp down well below 90 degrees. if you stirred it in the icebath (in a sink or tub) you would be at pitching temp in no time. Many people myself included don't have Immersion chillers yet. I can cool 5 gal of wort from boil to pitching in 30 minutes. it just takes ice. I recommend a few days before (cuz i am cheap) freezing off 2 liter bottles of water and any other easy container.

now, its good to pitch at the temperature as indicated on your yeast and ferment there also. I am guessing 140 is way high. take the 10 extra minutes to cool it down. If your worried about bacteria, remember that monks used to brew stream side... egyptians didn't sanitize. I am not saying don't sanitize, but i am saying that the put the lid on the pot, ice bath it, stir it every 5-10 minutes and keep the lid on. You will be fine.

lastly, i would recommend doing some "easier" brews before jumping into brewing with adjuncts. also that pumpkin ale is going to be expensive, if you are worried about messing up 15$ you are going to hate messing up the 50-70ish it will cost for the pumpkin. I have it sitting in primary right now.

i lied, this is lastly. are you extract brewing, partial, mini, or all grain brewing?

I am all grain. I found an easy recipe for Pumpkin that is easy on the pocket book. I get a lb of grain for about $1 at my local HB store. Then yeast, $3, and hops, $1.5, and Im still around 15-20 with the pumpkin. Is the krausen a good sign? I did ice bath in the sink. Took the temp from the temp from the top of the pot, 140, and said screw it Im pitching anyways. ( My friend wasn't happy when I pitched ) He said I screwed another batch up. LOL

Make sure to check out Charlie Papazian's The Complete Joy of Homebrewing or John Palmer's How to Brew. Both are great and will save a ton of money and a ton of nights spent on the couch due to angry SWMBO...

Back