Beginner's question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABeerZale

Reaction score
Going to buy ingredients soon for another Brew, so I'm checking out the online stores I use and I was wondering, What difference does it make which yeast you use?
I'll be making an IPA, what's the difference in using Savage S 04,Safbrew US - 05 or Safbrew S - 33 or any of the other Safbrew Ale yeasts?

The manufacturer's websites should be able to tell you about each yeast.

^ what glick said.
Reading only around these parts, 1056 seems to be a regarded yeast for IPAs.

Experimenting with yeast is a great way to make beer! Yeast make beer so you can conceivably make the exact same wort, split and pitch two different yeasts and create two completely different beers.

You can also ferment the same yeast at two different temperatures and create two totally different profiles in the same beer! Amazing little creatures they are.

Visit the manufacturers website and read the profile for each strain and the temperature tolerances as a starting point. You can also peruse recipes in the wiki and see what people tend to use for particular styles

They all have completely different flavor profiles, and each will also produce different flavors depending on the fermentation temp. S-05 is the Chico strain (same as 1056 or WLP001) and is typically a relatively neutral/clean yeast. S-04 is an English strain (Whitbread dry?) and accentuates the malt sweetness a little while subduing the hop bitterness sightly. It can also throw some fruity esters at either very low or very high temps. S-33 is another English strain (the EDME strain) and it throws a few funky phenols and esters. At warmer temps it can lean towards a Belgian yeast character, and Fermentis has even started marketing it for use in Trappist style ales.

I wouldn't use S-33 for an IPA, but either S-04 or S-05 work very well in an IPA. The S-05 is more typical of the classic American IPA, but a lot of breweries are using S-04 and other similar English strains in their IPA's these days. In either case I'd keep the fermentation temp around 65°F.

I'd go with US-05 as first choice, S-04 as second for an IPA.

More important than that choice is proper temp control. Both of those strains are fine if you pitch around 60-61*F, start the ferment at 64 and, after 4-5 days, let it come up to finish around 68*F.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll check the manufacturer's websites and act accordingly. Cheers!

Back