Beginner's Mead, First Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daeaye

Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to make my first mead but I'm new to homebrewing. I've read up plenty but I wondered if anyone had any tips to share from their experience - even ones that might seem "obvious" - regarding materials, times, yeasts and ingredients. Everything, really. Things I've read seem to contradict each other, presumably due to the writer's personal preferences.

Also, I don't plan on making a huge batch at first so I'm looking at small fermenting tubs, and I see the argument between plastic and glass is a long and twisting one. Ultimately, it seems there are pros and cons to both but both ultimately yield similar results (once you know what you're doing). Would a 10 litre plastic tub with tap & airlock be suitable?

So: hello, and help!

Welcome to the forums, doing your research is a good place to start but after that it gets down to learning first hand. I have 3 questions just to see what we could help you get started with.

1.)Could you define "plastic tub" a little bit just to clarify?
2.) What equipment/ingredients do you have or plan to have before starting?
3.) What would you like to make? A style or flavor/recipe you have in mind?

There is a lot of great advice here from plenty of people with experience and still learning, take advice and criticism as you will and decide what you want to try. There's no singular way to do this so don't sweat it, we all start somewhere by success or catastrophe, usually both along the way. Welcome and keep on brewing, Cheers!

Welcome Daeaye.
Mead is a good first choice, because it's simple. No cooking.
I do 1 gallon batches, which I suggest you start with. 3 lb. of honey, which happens to be right around 1 qt. Enough water to make the volume 1 gallon, then add maybe 1 pint more- I'll get to the reason later. OG will be somewhere in the vicinity of 1.100. You can keep it simple like this or add some flavoring. Vanilla beans are always good, fruit if you like, a touch of cinnamon maybe, look at recipes and decide for yourself. The yeast really depends on what's available. Eventually you'll develop preferences toward different yeasts, but at this point, just pick a package of wine yeast.
I like to use a 5 gallon bucket to do my fermentation in. Sanitize the bucket, add your honey mixture, cooled down to under 100* if you heated it, add nutrients, and oxygenate. I use an oxygen tank with a sintered stone, but you can get away by vigorously pouring, stirring and mixing. For the amount of nutrients, look up 'TONSA', which tells you how much nutrients to add and when to add them. Keep the fermenter between 65-75 *, depending on your yeast. Read the package, it should tell you the temps the yeast like. Keep the lid on the bucket loose, without an airlock at this stage, because twice daily for 3-4 days, you'll want to stir the mixture to degas it. And there will be nutrient additions, usually on day 2 and day4 . When the bubbling slows down when you stir, then I stop degassing, tighten my lid, add an airlock, and let her sit for another 2 weeks. At this point, I take an SG to confirm that fermentaion is done (it'll be below 1.000 usually). Rack to a 1 gallon jug with 1 camden tab (to scavenge oxygen at this point) and fit the airlock. Remember that extra bit of mead that you started with? You should have about 1 pint more than will fit in the gallon jug. Keep that in a sanitized jar in the fridge to use as topoff. Here's where the patience comes in. Patience is what makes the difference between a mediocre mead and a really good one. You will rack that mead to a new gallon jug every time the lees (sediment) reaches about 1/4 inch thick. About once a month. Use the extra to topoff, so that the mead reaches the bottom of the neck of the jar. In about 3 months, there will be no more lees, and she'll be ready for bottling. Bottle as it is, if it tastes good to you. Or add flavoring, and/or stabilize with more camden and some sorbate and backsweeten with some honey.
Wooooo. Long winded, I know. But this is how I do it. Good luck!

Your plastic should be fine as long as it is new, food grade plastic. And make your first batch Joe's ancient orange mead. Easy to do, hard to screw it up, and it's actually pretty darn good stuff......

Daeaye- Just saw that loveofrose has a post called 'Mead University'. I clicked on it, and strongly recommend you do too! Very helpful read that covers basically everything. He is also the originator of the Bray's one month mead thread, and really knows his stuff.

Definitely give it a read, simple and straight forward, solid information that's been widely accepted as standard practice currently.

Just saw that fresh in the forums and read it over dinner.

All of the above is good stuff. Just pulling things out of my head, I would say the following things:

You can't over sanitize or over clean. Mead likes to age, aging and contaminants are a bad mix. If you are not heating your ingredients, use potassium metabisulphite (campden). I have made vinegar from sealed, clean store bought apple juice. (not intentionally)

Probably the most common novice mistake is trying to boost the alcohol. First learn how to make a good tasting batch, almost nobody wants to drink rocket fuel.

Watch the temperature. Too high: fusel alcohol, hangovers, rocket fuel. Too low: Stalled fermentation, sulpher faults.

Be patient, Mead loves to age. I use Wyeast sweet mead yeast and ferment cool. It takes about 3 weeks to finish bubbling. I leave it 6 weeks on the yeast, three to do the coarse ferment, and 3 to clean up. 5 years later I am still happy with the results. Then I rack to a 5 gallon carboy, fit an airlock and park it for a year. I put it in a keg and carbonate. Two years ago I got told to double the batches, so I guess she is happy.

Be really patient, the higher the alcohol the longer it takes to age usually.

I use plastic bucket for the first few days, lets me stir and check gravity easily. I cover it with a sanitized bandana held in place with 1/8 inch bungee cord around the neck. When the foam dies down and gravity drops to half I rack the whole mess to a 6.5 gallon for the rest of the 6 weeks. This way I can keep the yeast with it for the whole 6 weeks.

I use 4.5 gallons water, 12 pounds honey, a pound or two of sugar and 10 oz dried hibiscus. (the sugar dries it out a touch, seems sweet to me otherwise) I boil the water, add the honey and sugar, boil for a few minutes and skim the crud. Add hibiscus and boil for 10 minutes. I have a chiller for beer, so I chill to below 70 and pitch. But that is me, you may prefer a cold method.

Pay attention to the nutrients. stressed yeast produce drain cleaner.

I always use starters for my yeast, but then again, I keep splitting them and building again to do 5 batches of 5 gallons each.

Many say to never boil honey, you lose the varietals. I don't care. I am using hibiscus as a flavor, it steps on the varietals anyway. It works for me, the hibiscus has to be boiled anyway. I buy honey cheap, just simple clover. (but I may try wildflower soon) And lastly, I have a medical condition that I should not eat raw honey, And I am making this for me after all.

Start small, get comfortable. make what you want, not what someone else thinks is best. This is a hobby, enjoy yourself.

Read, a lot, seriously. There are great resources for free on the web. There are good books in print. I spent weeks reading on line, then dove in. still took a while to get comfortable, but it was worth it.

Latest posts

Back