Beginners guide to fruiting beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

off7spring

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My next batch is going to be an extract hefeweizen kit (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/bavarian-hefe-weizen-extract-kit.html), and I would like to add some raspberries (and maybe a little bit of cranberry) to it for some additional tartness. I was reading some of the threads on here and saw quite a lot of varied responses on fruiting beers, but I was interested to gauge some additional input on my upcoming batch.

I was thinking between 3-5 pounds of raspberries (it's going to be a 5 gallon batch) added to a secondary fermentation that will sit for a week or so. I would like to use whole raspberries and puree them. I know I need to strain out the seeds then pasteurize them at around 160F for 20 minutes or so, but I'm not sure what to do next.

I was reading that freezing them will help enhance the flavor some (by breaking down the cell walls). Should I just pasteurize and freeze? Or freeze the puree?

I'm looking for a tartness to the beer, not necessarily an overly sweet/prominent raspberry taste. Is 3 pounds a good amount to add, or should I plan to add more?

Any feedback/tips/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Three pounds should be plenty.

When I add whole raspberries, I simply froze them and then dumped them in the carboy when it came time to secondary. (Let them thaw a bit first.) I didn't bother pureeing them in a blender.

Here is a quick primer on fruiting beer....

7c3dfc5b3b64ad4380bd9e064ae43dfd.jpg

:drunk:

Here is a quick primer on fruiting beer....

7c3dfc5b3b64ad4380bd9e064ae43dfd.jpg

:drunk:

^^ ignore that. Drink what you like. Fruit beer is a BJCP category and drunk all over the world, including Germany, where beer is a way of life. One of my favorite things to drink after a long bike ride is a shandy (radler in Germany). I'm not really a fan of the fruit beer, but I've made them and I would encourage brewers to take a shot at it.

Just kicked my raspberry brown this evening (2nd batch), and amazing flavor btw, so disregard the previous comment. Two options and I've done both with success....boil down for 10 minutes then dump in secondary or buy frozen then dump in secondary. Both time I left for a week with great success....I wouldn't worry about the seeds. If you have a paint strainer or hop bag use that and you'll be fine. Enjoy the beer....raspberry imparts a great flavor!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back