Beginner yeast questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdkirk86

Reaction score
So I am brewing a houblonmonstre ipa and the og is 1.082. I have a 1000 ml yeast starter, and that is good for beers with an og of 1.080. I have the wyeast I was going to make a starter out of. Am I going to need to build it up twice, or will I be ok if I just pitch the wyeast.

I guess I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. I think you're asking if you can pitch a 1000 ml yeast starter, good enough for beers with an OG of 1.080, into your wort with OG 1.082. I would be totally comfortable doing that.

I have never used a starter and I have never had fermentation troubles even at high gravities. I once fermented an 8.5% belgian with bread yeast with no starter and no nutrients. I suggest adding nutrients to your IPA and pitch the pack, if the FG is too high for you after primary, give it a secondary.

I have never used a starter and I have never had fermentation troubles even at high gravities. I once fermented an 8.5% belgian with bread yeast with no starter and no nutrients. I suggest adding nutrients to your IPA and pitch the pack, if the FG is too high for you after primary, give it a secondary.

Uh, why?

roastquake said:
I suggest adding nutrients to your IPA and pitch the pack, if the FG is too high for you after primary, give it a secondary.

If your FG is continuing to fall after primary I think you're doing something wrong?

Back