Beginner Sparging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just completed my first AG batch this weekend and it went well for the most part. I read several articles and books and talked to some friends in preparation. The part of the process that no one seamed to agree on was the sparging. My set up involves two 7 gal coolers for use as mash tun and HLT. The technique that were suggested can be summed up in to two options:

1) drain all of the mash water into the kettle then sparge
2) open the ball valve on both the mash tun and HLT to the same rate so that the water level in the mash tun is always at the same level until the end of the sparge.

I was just curious what other people did for their sparging. Thanx for the help.

You flysparging?
I do the simple batch sparge ala Denny.
Measure my 1st runnings volume, then sparge with the difference between that and what I want my BK volume to be. Easy peasy. Mash efficiency between 73-79% depending on where I get my grain milled(LHBS tends toward the 79%, NB the 73%). Next major purchase will have to be a mill.

The reason you won't find agreement is that there are two main styles of sparging; batch and fly. Your #1 describes batch sparging and #2 is fly. What kind of straining mechanism is in your mash tun?

Ok, so that's a rig that can do fly sparging. Do not drain the tun. Start the sparge flow and run the wort out at about the same rate, maintaining 1-2" of sparge water over the grain at all times.

That's what I did for my first batch and it seamed to work well. But I'm still trying to learn what will be best for my brewing. Thanks for the input.

Back