Beginner set up questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Gramer

Reaction score
hey guys. So I want to get into home brewing. I’ve been looking into a bunch of beginner kits and I’m open to spend anywhere from 200-500 dollars on a nice beginner set up. My main desire is that it be able to keg the beer. I’ve looked at a lot of 5 gallon set ups with the mini kegs and that looks like the best for me. So the two questions I have is if kits are worth it in general? Would I be better off buying everything separate? I want quality materials and a nice set up so any information would be great.

hey guys. So I want to get into home brewing. I’ve been looking into a bunch of beginner kits and I’m open to spend anywhere from 200-500 dollars on a nice beginner set up. My main desire is that it be able to keg the beer. I’ve looked at a lot of 5 gallon set ups with the mini kegs and that looks like the best for me. So the two questions I have is if kits are worth it in general? Would I be better off buying everything separate? I want quality materials and a nice set up so any information would be great.
Nothing wrong with beginner kits. They get your feet wet and get you the necessary equipment to get started. I think they're worth it. I started with an extract beginner kit from northern brewer and i would do it that way again. Im not familiar with any kits that come with kegs so i can't help you there. You starting with extract or going all grain right away?

I'm sure just about any experienced brewer would tell you that's a big question with a lot of answers, depending on who you talk to. I personally have taken to the general philosophy of acceptance: I know that I'll eventually see something that catches my eye and end up replacing the equipment I currently have. So I try to save $ anywhere possible. That being said, I'm a machinist/engineer by trade so I a lot of my stuff is DIY. On the other hand, a lot of brewers here that have bought higher quality and more expensive equipment, but have been using it for a very long time. I think the big thing to take into account is that your brewing preferences will probably change, being that your new to brewing. If your positive that you're not going to want to move up to 5 gallon+ brewing, buy quality equipment now. If not, it might be worth cutting cost in anticipation of upgrading in the future. Take my opinions with a grain of salt. I have a 1-2 gallon brew setup, a 5-10 gallon setup, and a Pico C so apparently I just like buying equipment [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

Nothing wrong with beginner kits. They get your feet wet and get you the necessary equipment to get started. I think they're worth it. I started with an extract beginner kit from northern brewer and i would do it that way again. Im not familiar with any kits that come with kegs so i can't help you there. You starting with extract or going all grain right away?

I’ve been looking at something like this

https://www.northernbrewer.com/coll...ucts/master-brewer-equipment-kit-draft-brewer

Or this

https://www.homebrewing.org/Beginning-Homebrew-Kit-Upgrade-4-with-NEW-keg_p_1707.html

Do you need a 3 vessel system? If you BIAB you could easily get a kegging system within the $500 budget.

Look at used and you will be much less than that.

Second one looks like a better deal for what you get and it has less stuff you won’t need. With the first you are basically paying an extra $220 for a second regulator and a Big Mouth Bubbler, they are maybe $70 to buy separately. It’s a place to start but both kits have things you’ll probably grow out of and you’ll never actually have everything you “need”.

I won't suggest any beginner to buy a Beginner's 5 Gallons Brewing Kit. I consider those kits are a waste of $.

I would suggest any beginner to jump right in "All Grain Brewing" using your stove top in your kitchen. A reasonable batch size is 2.5 to 3 gallons. Get yourself a 6 gallons (24 Qt) stainless steel kettle. Costco sells one for $39.99, or a little bit higher from Wal-Mart for the exact same kettle. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramonti...5035&wl11=online&wl12=776837853&wl13=&veh=sem

Buy a 5 gallon paint strainer as your brew bag, and you are good to go.

Because of the batch size, you can ferment in a regular 5 gallons plastic bucket with lid from any hardware store. You can buy the white color ones if you have concern of "food grade". Or buy another 6 gallons stainless steel kettle and use it as fermentor. You don't need air tight cover and any air lock, so just close the lid, and forget it.

As for kegging equipment, buy used on craigslist. Get a 5 gallons ball lock keg, it is ok to put just 2.5 to 3 gallons of beer in it, you just use more CO2. In my area, used keg is listed for $40, CO2 tank $50, regulator $40.

The total for the above is not even $200, you have the rest of your budget to buy even a new 7 cu ft chest freezer($129 from Costco). That takes care of temperature control for fermentation and chill your keg when serving. Speaking of temperature control, get an Inkbird ITC 308 from Amazon for $35. You need hydrometer, 1/2 inch auto siphon, hoses, ball lock quick disconnects (beer + gas), picnic tap, starsan, spray bottle and PBW.

You still have $ left for ingredients, after all, we are about brewing beer. How can that $5xx Brew Kit beat that?

I have to agree with @gnor. You only need a kettle, a bucket, and if you really want to jump right into kegs, then a keg/tank/regulator. Then some cleaner (home made or PBW) and sanitizer (can use bleach or buy StarSan/Iodophor). You will always end up buying more things as time goes by, this is a hobby that black-hole-sucks more equipment, doo-dads, time, and paraphernalia into it.

I would avoid any kit that includes a 5 gallon glass carboy unless you are going to be doing a lot of wines and ciders. Starter kits that include kegs are pretty limiting also so I would look for a brewing kit separately from a kegging kit. That will give you a better chance of getting what you want.

If I were to put a kegging kit together for a new brewer doing all grain I’d have:

Kettle

Ball valve set up or siphon for the getting beer out of the kettle

BIAB bag (never done BAIB but it’s super easy and only requires one “kettle/tank”)

Small scale for weighing hops/additions

Stainless mash spoon

Lab thermometer

Hydrometer

Graduated cylinder so you can read the hydrometer

7.5 gal Fermonster w/spigot & Brew hauler

Bung

Airlock

5lb cylinder & Regulator

10’ of beer line with a picnic tap

5’ gas line

A pair of quick disconnects

Used corny keg with all new gaskets/o-rings

PBW

Starsan

Some extra hose for transfers

With a heat source and the above mentioned items you can brew and keg good beer for less than $350. The kits are easy but like I said, they have some extra things and are missing some other stuff. You will continue to grow your set up so I’d toss in a $100, $250 or $500 gift card for 10% off too.

Last edited:
I would avoid any kit that includes a 5 gallon glass carboy unless you are going to be doing a lot of wines and ciders. Starter kits that include kegs are pretty limiting also so I would look for a brewing kit separately from a kegging kit. That will give you a better chance of getting what you want.
I agree with this. I bought the kit with one 5 gallon and one 6 gallon glass carboy. The 5 gallon never gets used. I would like to have another 6 gallon carboy.

Back