Beginner mess up, used bottling bucket to ferment.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colby4bush

Reaction score
Well not really a mess up I thought it was a good idea since I thought I was going to use my glass carboy as my secondary then go back to my bottling bucket on bottling day. Well this being my second time and using a kit I thought it would be the same as first, but this stout tells me to bottle after 8 days and to not transfer to a secondary. Now I don't have a bottling bucket and I am low on cash atm. Can I transfer it into my carboy, clean my bucket and transfer it back to that? Or would it hurt to transfer to a secondary and let it sit for a few days?

Hopefully this all makes sense and you guys can help me out since I over think stuff way to much and think i am going to ruin my beer now lol

I would transfer it to the glass carboy leave it in there for a week or two then on bottling day use the bottling bucket. 8 day fermatation seems a little short to me what kit are you brewing

If the trub doesn't go past the spigot, I would say just bottle from where you are. In general, most would say to primary in the carboy and not bother with the secondary unless there is a fruit addition.

edit: 8 days does sound a little short, but you could still leave it where it is a bit longer until bottle time.

I would transfer it to the glass carboy leave it in there for a week or two then on bottling day use the bottling bucket. 8 day fermatation seems a little short to me what kit are you brewing

It is the Thomas Cooper Irish stout kit.

Guess I will just do 14 days in this and switch it to secondary for 7 days then bottle. It's so weird why my last batch told me to switch to secondary when i didnt have any addition.

If the trub doesn't go past the spigot, I would say just bottle from where you are. In general, most would say to primary in the carboy and not bother with the secondary unless there is a fruit addition.

edit: 8 days does sound a little short, but you could still leave it where it is a bit longer until bottle time.

How would you blend the priming sugar into the beer without stirring up the trub?

Colby4bush. Sounds like a good plan to me. Just remember this when it comes to a secondary. More cleaning, sanitizing, oxygen, the more times you touch your brew the more likely you are to get infection. Leaving most beer sit in primary for 3 weeks is fine I rarely use a secondary

Guess I will just do 14 days in this and switch it to secondary for 7 days then bottle. It's so weird why my last batch told me to switch to secondary when i didnt have any addition.

Not weird. Standard instructions for all kits suppliers. If you need to switch to a secondary then you need 1 more piece of equipment to buy. $$$.

While I do use a secondary - I know I don't have too. You will find many people telling you no to worry about it. Personally I would at least buy a second primary bucket, even if you don't always use a secondary stage. I think it makes bottling easier. Extra for clean/soaking bottles, and transferring your beer into prior to bottling. I find adding sugar to the primary bucket easier and more constant than putting a bit in each bottle.

For some equipment, used is great too. I would try kijiji. My experience is that there are many people selling good equipment because they can't do it anymore or screwed up their first batch and don't want too keep going.

I have several "bottling buckets" that i use as fermentation vessels...simply because I can hook up a hose and transfer the beer without stirring up the trub. I normally just go bucket to bucket to bottle.

Back