Beginner Mead Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neonprune

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a beginner with brewing and I'm attempting to make a batch of mead. I'm hoping for some advice. In retrospect if anyone is also thinking of brewing some mead and finds this thread my first bit of advice to them is start with a smaller batch (which I did not). :)

So I've had my must sitting for about two weeks now and I've yet to see any bubbles escape the air lock. I was reading some of the advice on other posts here and so I've occasionally opened it up and stirred it. The must is definitely changing colour and it is slightly bubbly. I also added bit of yeast nutrient because someone at my local brew store suggested the honey might not have enough to feed the yeast. Should I be worried? I also tasted a bit today and it tasted horrible. Is that normal? Here are some more details.

Aug 7th
18 Litres of spring water (4.75 Gal)
7 Kg of Honey (15.4 lbs)
Lalvia EC-1118 champagne yeast
1 tsp yeast nutrient, 1 tsp yeast energizer.
Stir, stir, stir, stir and then stored in a sealed plastic tub with an airlock. Average temp where I store it is right around 70 degrees F.

Aug 13
Nothing seemed to be happening so I stirred and added 1 tsp more of yeast nutrient.

Aug 18th
More stirring. Must changing colour and a bit bubbly.

Aug 21
More stirring. Tried to take a gravity reading and it just sunk to the bottom (but I might just not know how to do it right). Took a little taste and it tastes horrible.

Sorry this is so long but I was trying to pre-answer some of the questions I've seen reading through the other beginners posts. :) I would appreciate any advice you guys have.

Not all that experienced in making mead, but I've brewed two batches so I at least have gone down this path.

About the only thing I see is that you're missing nutrients. Honey doesn't have all the nutrients that yeast need to grow and multiply, so adding something is essential. You can do this one of two ways. Added ingredients that provide the needed nutrients, or a chemical additive. Either works, but for best results you should at least do one.

I like measurements, and taking a specific gravity measurement at the start, and then one later would tell you whether you've got fermentation or not. In absence of a starting one, you could take one now and one a week later. You are using a graduated cylinder, right?

Making mead is a slow process the taste evolves over time. So it's not unusual for it to taste harsh to begin with. What does it taste like? Horrible isn't useful. Like cough syrup? sickly sweet? burning alcohol bite?

I like stagger nutrient additions. Some at start, then more the next day, and then more the next day. Also, I personally like starters ensuring that the yeast is viable, and of a colony size to take off fermenting the batch.

Thanks Mjcoss. The 'horrilbe' taste is of burning alcohol bite. It almost tastes like a white wine that is way too dry. I will youtube the proper way to take the gravity measurement because I think I'm doing something wrong.

In terms of nutrients what would you suggest? The one I used at the onset, and then one week later was one I bought from the store. Ammonium Sulphate and Diammonium Phosphate.

re: yeast nutrient
Those are the basic components of an yeast energizer and is fine. I used Wyeast Vintner's Choice Nutrient Blend which adds vitamins, minerals, as well as those to make the yeast happy.

But if you're getting a alcohol bite, you have or had fermentation, and so now it will just come down to waiting till the flavor mellows with time. In addition, you can do what's called back sweeten the mead to 'help" with the alcohol bite. To do that you need to be certain that it's finished fermenting then you basically add campden tablets, followed by potassium sorbate to ensure your yeast are not going to keep eating any newly added sugars and then add in honey to taste. However, I think you should just give it a month or two and see how it tastes then. You'll be surprised at how it will change over time.

I am a new mead maker, as well, and I haven't been going about it in the most scientific way-- two batches no gravity readings. The yeast you have used is one that can live in a high alcohol environment, so a dry wine is what you'll likely get, unless you choose to back sweeten, after the yeast is terminated. MJ gave sound advice, the meads I have made have never bubbled like fermenting wort. Raisins also provide nutrients for yeast, but not like the additives.

re: yeast nutrient
Those are the basic components of an yeast energizer and is fine. I used Wyeast Vintner's Choice Nutrient Blend which adds vitamins, minerals, as well as those to make the yeast happy.

But if you're getting a alcohol bite, you have or had fermentation, and so now it will just come down to waiting till the flavor mellows with time. In addition, you can do what's called back sweeten the mead to 'help" with the alcohol bite. To do that you need to be certain that it's finished fermenting then you basically add campden tablets, followed by potassium sorbate to ensure your yeast are not going to keep eating any newly added sugars and then add in honey to taste. However, I think you should just give it a month or two and see how it tastes then. You'll be surprised at how it will change over time.

Yes, I have a blueberry melomel that is like cough syrup in flavor , but thin bodied, this happened after I added pasteurized lemon juice and a little green tea, in an attempt to correct a flat taste with a hint of bitterness. Do you think it will mellow out, or should I attemt to adjust the flavor some how? Thanks!

I think the only answer is time. I had a raspberry melomel that passed through the stage of cough syrup taste. I would be afraid to try and tinker with the flavors at this point as the attempt may just make matters worse. Unfortunately there are plenty of posts on various forums of meads that never move on from that stage :( Best of luck

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think what I will do is separate what I have and try the two options. One I will just let sit and see if it mellows and the other I will try to back sweeten as you've suggested. Appreciate all the help.

Back