Beginner BIAB (no sparge). Why is the ABV of a converted recipe higher?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassius

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So, I'm nearly set to start with BIAB (no sparge). I have a 27L electric kettle that I will be using.

Now I've been looking for recipes with Beersmith (bought the app) but when converting the recipe to my BIAB equipment/mash setup, the ABV is higher. Take for example the 'Bell's two hearted IPA' recipe. It shows 6.8% in the recipe, but after applying my equipment it goes to 7.33%.

So i'm pretty sure that either one of the equipment configurations for the kettle or mash profile is incorrect.

Can someone tell me what I have configured incorrectly ?

The kettle configuration: (all in metric)

'Steba ER2' (name of the kettle)

Batch volume: 18.93L
Efficiency: 72%
Hop util: 100%

Mash tun volume: 27L
Mass: 4.5kg
Tun specific heat: 0.30 Cal/g-C
Mash tun addition: 0
Lauter deadspace: 0
Adjust vol for deadspace: 0

Boiler
Kettle top up: 0
Calc boil volume: yes
Boil volume: 22.41L
Boil time: 60min
Boil off: 1.89
Post boil volume: 20.52
Cooling loss: 0.82

Fermenter/bottling volumes:

trub: 0.8
top up: 0
Batch: 18.93L
Fermenter loss: 0
Bottling volume: 18.93L

--------------

Mash profile (i edited the biab light body one):

Adjust temp for equipment: yes

Grain temp: 22.2 (default?)
Mash tun temp: 22.2 (default?)
Grain weight basis: 4.54kg
Boil temp: 100
PH 5.2
Sparge temp: 75.6

BIAB/Full boil mash: yes
BIAB Boil Vol: 18.93

Any time you adapt someone else's recipe to your system you're going to need to adjust for your own numbers. If your efficiency or your losses are different from the author's then you will end up with different OG. We can't really tell you if you configured it properly without knowing what those actual numbers are. In fact, you probably have to do a few batches to find out what your efficiency is on your new system. I would just take really good measurements on the first batch or two and then make sure you adjust all your numbers accordingly.

I'm pretty sure you're not going to be able to do a no-sparge process in a 27L vessel with a 22.4L pre-boil volume. Can't say for sure without knowing your grain bill and grain absorption rate, however.

Brew on :mug:

I don't think metric. LOL
hard to change lifelong habits, but it's just as difficult to rationalize not do it.
I use imperial units in colloquial talk, but anything that needs to be even remotely accurate is in SI units aka metric.

hard to change lifelong habits, but it's just as difficult to rationalize not do it.
I use imperial units in colloquial talk, but anything that needs to be even remotely accurate is in SI units aka metric.
I'm just about 75. To late to convert me. LOL I have the general metric idea, it makes sense in distance, but can't compare temp in this old head. LOL

Until you brew on your system and input accurate numbers, you will get false numbers out. Takes a couple/few brews to get it dialed in. One thing that sticks out at me, without crunching all those metric numbers is you have fermenter loss at 0.

Back