BeerSmith2 Mobile - Mash In A Bag profile problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clint404

Reaction score
I mash in a 5g cooler in a BIAB. I want to set it up to do it how I've always done it but I'm having troubles. I want to add my 1.5qt/grain ratio and mash at 152 then mash out by raising to 168 for 10mins.

How would one go about doing this for a 2.91g batch.

I've used the "wort" android app only before.

Can I assume that you drain the wort into a boil kettle, rather than lift all the grain out wet? If so, then the BIAB term is a red herring, for your process. If you’re draining the mashtun. You’re likely to experience lower grain absorption than the typical BIAB set-up.

1) Profiles > Equipment > Add Equipmet
a: Set the mashtun size to 5 gallons.
b: Set specific heat to .3 (for plastic)
c: Weigh the empty cooler (no lid) then enter that in "mash tun weight."
d: Set the efficiency to match your mash efficiency (more about this at the end)
e: Set the batch size to 2.91 gallons, then the boil off to match your system.
f: Name the profile and save it.

2) Profiles > Mash > Add Mash.
a: Just below the steps window, click "add Step,"
b: Set the “Step Temp” to 152, the “Step Time” to your desired rest time and “Rise Time” to how long it takes you to mix the mash.
c: Add a new step: Make sure this one is “Infusion” for type.
d: Set “Step Temp” to 168, “Step Time” to 10 min, “Rise Time” to how long it takes to add water and mix it. HOWEVER, leave the “Water to add” at “0.”
e: Click the “Batch Sparge” box, but uncheck the other two batch sparge options.

Create a recipe using these two profiles.

In the mash tab, under the mash steps, you’ll see a volume to add for batch sparging. Double click the mashout step and it’ll open a window. Enter the sparge volume in the “Water to Add” field. BeerSmith will automatically adjust the infusion temperature to get the mashout temp of 168. You can now think of the “sparge” instruction as just the draining of the mashtun.

Note on BREWHOUSE EFFICIENCY (BHE). This gets new and experienced brewers, alike. Especially when the only efficiency they’re used to calculating is mash. BHE is the total percentage of available sugars that make it into the fermenter. So, that percentage is first reduced by mash efficiency (usually 10 – 25%), then by losses like trub. When “Loss to Trub” in the equipment profile is set to “0.0”, the BHE is the same as mash efficiency. Higher trub loss numbers have the effect of raising the mash efficiency. Simply, if the BHE stays the same, the only place where the increased sugars needed for that percentage to work is from better mash efficiency. This means that if you input false BHE numbers, you can end up with mash efficiency above 100%.

Thanks man! I hit my calculated preboil gravity with this method and it was set to 70%

Back