Beersmith?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handi

Reaction score
Is the App and PC Version of Beersmith WORTH The money?

The Android App is $7.99 I think. I thought about grabbing it next month (Low Income) if I got the Cash. I'm Currently using Brewer's Friend, but I'm limited to 5 Recipes in it and I been trying to find something that will let me Store Unlimited Recipes I want to try and want to attempt to build myself.

What is everyone's take on it. If I got the Android App, would I have Access to the PC Version? or would I have to Purchase the PC Version AND The App version?

The PC version is more useful. You have to buy both apps to get it to work. If you have both then you can save a few recipes to the cloud and pull them up on your phone or pc. That is handi. No wait, you are handi. ;)

Make sure to look through the sponsor area of this site. There is usually a vendor selling BS2 for $18-19.

The PC version is more useful. You have to buy both apps to get it to work. If you have both then you can save a few recipes to the cloud and pull them up on your phone or pc. That is handi. No wait, you are handi. ;)

Make sure to look through the sponsor area of this site. There is usually a vendor selling BS2 for $18-19.

Thanks for the Information. I'll check the Sponsors out. I'm using a Free one on the PC but it's not that good, Tring to insert some Recipes and some of the Ingredients isn't there and it sucks.

So i wanted something that would make it a Breeze for me since I'm pretty much starting out. I have done several Extract Kits. I been watching a vew Videos on their site and it looks like something that would be very useful to me with converting recipes to extract since I don't have all the equipment for all grain or anything right now since money is limited.

I'd like to do All Grain at one point, but I Don't have al the equipment and probably won't with money being limited, I can at least convert an all grain into an extract and get the same if not simular in Flavors.

Love the PC version. Makes All Grain a breeze. Hate the Android App. Save the $8 and buy some yeast.

I echo this sentiment.

The PC version is great and is my go-to program for everything from recipe design, brew session logs, and even converting units like % plato to gravity.

The android app does not function the same way the PC program does. One huge difference (for me) is that in I can't change batch size on the fly, and have to create an equipment profile around a batch size each time. I frequently change batch sizes to non-standard volumes (i.e. 5.25 gallons, 5.5 gallons) depending on my fermenter, what additions I will make in the fermenter, if I am or am not going to secondary, if I am dry-hopping, etc. I asked about it on the forums (I thought I was doing something wrong) and was told that I could not make changes on the fly like I could in the desktop program. If you are just using it to sync recipes from the BeerSmith cloud thing you'll probably be fine, but I found it was a hassle to create recipes with. Also it is not as fully featured as the desktop program. If it worked *exactly* like the desktop program I would start using it again.

I like BS2 for the desktop. Creating equipment profiles for AE, E/SG or PB/PM BIAB. Very handy tool once you learn how to at least get started using it. It does get involved, but is so worth it. It also has add-on packs for fermentables, hops, yeast, etc. Cloud function is easy enough & good for storage in case your PC goes fubar.

Love the PC version. Makes All Grain a breeze. Hate the Android App. Save the $8 and buy some yeast.

I almost echo this sentiment, but I don't "hate" the android app. I just find that it's probably not worth the $8 you'd spend on it, but it WAS worth the $0 I spent on it :D (through the Amazon store using points or some such thing; install free apps, get points, use points to "buy" the Beersmith app).

The desktop version is very powerful, and easy to use once you become familiarized with it and brewing terminology. Very well put-together software that really streamlines recipes creation for your system. This software can generally be had for <$20. As mentioned, specific ingredients can be installed as add-ons from within the software. You'll find many but not all. You can download and use BS2 for free for 3 weeks I think, after which you'll have to buy it. This software seems to be the "standard" by which recipes are passed around/posted these days. It's a great software but it does cost ~$20 and major revisions require another purchase. (Note: I think a new major revision is being worked on currently and will probably present itself this year or next).

Another great desktop software is BrewTarget and it's free and open-source. I've played with it a bit and like how it's progressed. While I'm not as comfortable with it's workings, layout, and idiosyncrasies, it is still a highly regarded locally-installed brewing software that is cross-platform. (BS has it's own idiosyncrasies, BTW). This software is also being actively developed and you will frequently find one of the project managers/coders posting here on HBT.

Lastly, an (android at least) app that has been making some headway and has a nice layout and workflow is BrewShop, and it's free. However, it's not a full fledged brewing software/calculator like all of the above programs/apps, but is very nice for quick formulation of recipes while on the go. Then when you get home you can duplicate them in your brewing software of choice to further dial them in. This app was being heavily developed less than a month ago and I suspect that it still is. The developer is also active here on HBT.

Hope this helps.

Edit:
Brewshop Thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/brew-shop-android-homebrew-app-502073/
Brewtarget Thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/brewtarget-2-0-update-390579/

I almost echo this sentiment, but I don't "hate" the android app. I just find that it's probably not worth the $8 you'd spend on it, but it WAS worth the $0 I spent on it :D (through the Amazon store using points or some such thing; install free apps, get points, use points to "buy" the Beersmith app).

The desktop version is very powerful, and easy to use once you become familiarized with it and brewing terminology. Very well put-together software that really streamlines recipes creation for your system. This software can generally be had for <$20. As mentioned, specific ingredients can be installed as add-ons from within the software. You'll find many but not all. You can download and use BS2 for free for 3 weeks I think, after which you'll have to buy it. This software seems to be the "standard" by which recipes are passed around/posted these days. It's a great software but it does cost ~$20 and major revisions require another purchase. (Note: I think a new major revision is being worked on currently and will probably present itself this year or next).

Another great desktop software is BrewTarget and it's free and open-source. I've played with it a bit and like how it's progressed. While I'm not as comfortable with it's workings, layout, and idiosyncrasies, it is still a highly regarded locally-installed brewing software that is cross-platform. (BS has it's own idiosyncrasies, BTW). This software is also being actively developed and you will frequently find one of the project managers/coders posting here on HBT.

Lastly, an (android at least) app that has been making some headway and has a nice layout and workflow is BrewShop, and it's free. However, it's not a full fledged brewing software/calculator like all of the above programs/apps, but is very nice for quick formulation of recipes while on the go. Then when you get home you can duplicate them in your brewing software of choice to further dial them in. This app was being heavily developed less than a month ago and I suspect that it still is. The developer is also active here on HBT.

Hope this helps.

Edit:
Brewshop Thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/brew-shop-android-homebrew-app-502073/
Brewtarget Thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/brewtarget-2-0-update-390579/

Thanks for the information. I'll check them out. I downloaded one called BrewMate from someone elses Post. It's not bad, but the database isn't that good with the ingredients.

I'll check the one you have listed, I'm chedking out BrewTarget right now and I'll check with the Shop one also.

I'll wait till there is a major update before I try ad buy, I'm not going to spend the money then have to spend it again for an update, I don't think that's right.

I absolutely love the Beersmith desktop program, I use it for every recipe I brew. I bought the app and while I don't necessarily regret it, pretty much all I use it for is to transfer recipes to it so I know what I need to buy at the LHBS. Occasionally I'll use the brew timer as well, but I usually just use the one on the desktop program since I usually have my laptop in the garage while I brew anyway.

Thanks for the information. I'll check them out. I downloaded one called BrewMate from someone elses Post. It's not bad, but the database isn't that good with the ingredients.

I'll check the one you have listed, I'm chedking out BrewTarget right now and I'll check with the Shop one also.

I'll wait till there is a major update before I try ad buy, I'm not going to spend the money then have to spend it again for an update, I don't think that's right.

I have a vague recollection of playing with BrewMate, but found BrewTarget much more to my liking. I honestly believe that BrewTarget is a perfect choice for brewing software - it's just that I had invested the time and money in BS so I stuck with it. If I had to do over, I would probably have gone with BrewTarget as a locally installed software. I also wanted to mention that a couple times I've plugged recipes into BrewTarget that I developed on BeerSmith and the estimated values came out extremely close - usually a point or two in OG, and a point or three in IBUs. The least helpful value in BT was the final gravity estimation since it doesn't take into account a yeast attenuation range and estimate a FG based on your mash temps, but I recognize that this is a big task to tackle and one that is very prone to error. As long as you understand yeast attenuation ranges and know how to estimate then based on your mash temperature then you can easily figure this out to within a point or two.

BrewShop is an app for mobile device, whereas BrewTarget is a desktop software. I may not have made that very clear in my last post.

I agree on waiting until the new major version of BeerSmith comes out before biting the bullet. Alternatively, you could email the author Brad Smith to glean a little more information from him on upgrade policy/price and such. He may even offer an estimated release date of the upcoming version. If interested, he can be contacted at: beersmith @ beersmith . com

I use Beersmith on my PC. I do not have the iPhone app. It is a stripped down version at the moment so you cannot do everything the PC version does. When I brew I take my laptop PC to the brew room.

I feel it is well worth the $$ but it does take some learning to use it properly. I have used it for more than 50 brews. From what I know Brad is working on a total update. I have no idea when it expected to be released.

I have the PC version and the Android app. I will echo what most others have said that the Android app is not a fully functioning piece of brewing software. Paired with the cloud recipe storage, it makes a handy reference, but entering recipes is not streamlined at all.

I do love the desktop version, though and I use it all the time. It is great for planning brews, making notes, and keeping a journal of all your batches. It's easy enough to update the ingredient databases if what you want to use isn't already there. Beersmith is very powerful, and a lot of that power comes from the fact that you can 100% tailor the software to you and your brew process. It's the best $20 I've spent on brewing, and I brewed for years and years without any software at all.

I will go ahead and just add to the pile here, you'll love Beersmith, absolutely fantastic program. Not sure how I would brew without it any more!
Also, free 21 day trial on their website, so you can give it a try and see what you think. I believe you can also import recipes from other programs, but I've never done that so I'm not entirely sure how to go about that :D

Search around. You can get an online download through some of the vendors one this site, sometimes on sale for $18 - $20.

Go with an online download, don't wait for someone to send a CD. If you have good internet it only takes a while, guessing 10-15 minutes.

Ditto to the BeerSmith fans. Great program, particularly after you've dialed in your equipment. I consistently hit my numbers using BS2.

Seems to me I didn't have to pay for the updates to BS2.

Seems I remember a partial fee for updgrading from 1.0 (or whatever that last version was) to 2.0, but that was a very big jump. The smaller upgrades are free. Have to echo the others, I really like the desktop version. As for grains there are a lot of add ons for maltster specific ingredients, but then it's also easy to add your own.

Beersmith here as well, I have both the desktop and the ipad version but only use the mobile version for reference etc. One thing to keep in mind and I may be mistaken on this, but I think the Beersmith cloud also follows a subscription model and to store more than 15 recipes you need to subscribe to one of the packages.

I love BeerSmith. I use the PC version for most of my brewing. Use the app mostly for buying ingredients or taking a quick look at a recipe.

I use the cloud. I have a PC in the garage that I brew with and a laptop that I do my recipes on. Both access the cloud option, so it's easy to look at a recipe from anywhere. There is a 15 recipe limit unless you pay for more cloud storage,

I have a vague recollection of playing with BrewMate, but found BrewTarget much more to my liking. I honestly believe that BrewTarget is a perfect choice for brewing software - it's just that I had invested the time and money in BS so I stuck with it. If I had to do over, I would probably have gone with BrewTarget as a locally installed software. I also wanted to mention that a couple times I've plugged recipes into BrewTarget that I developed on BeerSmith and the estimated values came out extremely close - usually a point or two in OG, and a point or three in IBUs. The least helpful value in BT was the final gravity estimation since it doesn't take into account a yeast attenuation range and estimate a FG based on your mash temps, but I recognize that this is a big task to tackle and one that is very prone to error. As long as you understand yeast attenuation ranges and know how to estimate then based on your mash temperature then you can easily figure this out to within a point or two.

BrewShop is an app for mobile device, whereas BrewTarget is a desktop software. I may not have made that very clear in my last post.

I agree on waiting until the new major version of BeerSmith comes out before biting the bullet. Alternatively, you could email the author Brad Smith to glean a little more information from him on upgrade policy/price and such. He may even offer an estimated release date of the upcoming version. If interested, he can be contacted at: beersmith @ beersmith . com

My Knowledge is very far and few inbetween about All Grain, Mashing, etc. I've read about it and I understand some of it. I don't have ALL of the equipment needed for Mashing, Sparging etc.

So I stick with Extract Brewing or Small Batch Brewing (Which I've not done any of that yet either)

Until I can come up with the money needed for all the equipment I stick with Extract Brewing and it would be nice to Convert a All Grain Recipe to Extract and all that other stuff.

How good IS Beersmith at recipe conversions? Does the final result of an extract conversion due the original all grain justice?

BS2 PC is great, once you have your equipment dialed in. The app is ok for basically viewing your recipes on your phone, but you need to transfer them to the cloud on the PC first. Rather annoying, all recipes should be in the cloud from the get go. This is doubly annoying when you're still tweaking a recipe and forget to update the cloud version. Tweaking recipes on the phone is doable, but again you need to manage your cloud recipe with the one on the PC.

Funny I found this thread as I almost purchased BS for android. I have the pc version, but to use it I have to go upstairs, and turn it on just to use it, which is just enough trouble that I don't use it and will tend to just wing a recipe based on past experience. An android app would be far preferable, but the UI looks kind of rough and it sounds like from users here that it needs some polish. For IOS users, do you have the same experience or do you like your version? I think I'm going to email the dev to see about future updates and I might still DL the app just because I have about $15 in credit with google play anyway.

I'd like to do All Grain at one point, but I Don't have al the equipment and probably won't with money being limited, I can at least convert an all grain into an extract and get the same if not simular in Flavors.

You know, ingredients for an all grain brew area actually much cheaper than for an extract brew.

Depending on what equipment you have, you probably have everything you need except for a bag to go BIAB. Check out the BIAB forum for more information on this. All grain does not have to have a huge equipment cost!

Funny I found this thread as I almost purchased BS for android. I have the pc version, but to use it I have to go upstairs, and turn it on just to use it, which is just enough trouble that I don't use it and will tend to just wing a recipe based on past experience. An android app would be far preferable, but the UI looks kind of rough and it sounds like from users here that it needs some polish. For IOS users, do you have the same experience or do you like your version? I think I'm going to email the dev to see about future updates and I might still DL the app just because I have about $15 in credit with google play anyway.

In my opinion, the best way to use the app is to do most of your work on the PC version, but use the app version when you're shopping, weighing grains or hops, etc... Put your recipes in the cloud, and they're available everywhere.

I use my tablet in my basement when I'm getting all my stuff together. I use the phone app when I'm shopping. I use the full PC app when I'm creating recipes or brewing.

Having both the PC and app version is actually pretty convenient.

You know, ingredients for an all grain brew area actually much cheaper than for an extract brew.

Depending on what equipment you have, you probably have everything you need except for a bag to go BIAB. Check out the BIAB forum for more information on this. All grain does not have to have a huge equipment cost!

I have the Standard Equipment. I got the 6 Gallon Racking Bucket, 6 Gallon Carboy, then the Capper, Hydrometer, Auto Siphon, etc.

The ONLY Pot that I have is my 20 qt Stock Pot for Soups, I do have a 22qt Pressure cooker.

I was looking to Tray and get my Hands on a 15 Gallon Party Keg so I could make that into a Brew Pot. (Disabled and Low Income), So, I don't have the money for Much Equipment. I'd like to get into the (BIAB), but I would probably have to do (Small Batch Brewing) because of my Pot Size.

I just been doing Extract Kits because It only Requires 2.5 to 3 Gallons of Water to start off with because of the Pot size. I wanted to Find the Fabric to Stitch up a Bag for the BIAB.

I don't have Sparging or Mash equipment that's mainly why I stay with Extract.

In my opinion, the best way to use the app is to do most of your work on the PC version, but use the app version when you're shopping, weighing grains or hops, etc... Put your recipes in the cloud, and they're available everywhere.

I use my tablet in my basement when I'm getting all my stuff together. I use the phone app when I'm shopping. I use the full PC app when I'm creating recipes or brewing.

Having both the PC and app version is actually pretty convenient.

Yeah I get that, but at that point why not just do everything on the computer and print out your recipe or copy and paste the info to a word doc on your phone and just use an app like brewor if you need to do your calculations? I understand it's nice to have things all in one place, but from some of the reviews I've read it sounds like their cloud service is very hit and miss.
If I'm paying for a pc version and a separate version for mobile I would like to see a real benefit to that, as of today there hasn't been an update since it was released April 2014.
Now if the dev decided to release a pc version that was a bit more and said if you buy this you get the companion app for free or some web based version, I'd probably be able to overlook limited and buggy functionality.

I have the Standard Equipment. I got the 6 Gallon Racking Bucket, 6 Gallon Carboy, then the Capper, Hydrometer, Auto Siphon, etc.

The ONLY Pot that I have is my 20 qt Stock Pot for Soups, I do have a 22qt Pressure cooker.

I was looking to Tray and get my Hands on a 15 Gallon Party Keg so I could make that into a Brew Pot. (Disabled and Low Income), So, I don't have the money for Much Equipment. I'd like to get into the (BIAB), but I would probably have to do (Small Batch Brewing) because of my Pot Size.

I just been doing Extract Kits because It only Requires 2.5 to 3 Gallons of Water to start off with because of the Pot size. I wanted to Find the Fabric to Stitch up a Bag for the BIAB.

I don't have Sparging or Mash equipment that's mainly why I stay with Extract.
I do pb/pm biab in the same 20Qt (5G) SS stock pot I started with. Just use a 3-4 gallon kettle for dunk sparging, since we bought a nested set of four pots. Works great with 3 1/2 gallon boils. I just need some kind of cart to get it from the kitchen to the brewery/man cave by myself...

Slightly OT: For those of you with Beersmith on a PC located away from your brewery and a tablet of some sort you might want to check out a program called Splashtop. It gives you access to your PC desktop on your tablet. Of course it's not exactly perfect but it does do a pretty decent job and may be worth looking into. I'm sure there is other software that performs a similar function, but I'm only familiar with Splashtop.

Slightly OT: For those of you with Beersmith on a PC located away from your brewery and a tablet of some sort you might want to check out a program called Splashtop. It gives you access to your PC desktop on your tablet. Of course it's not exactly perfect but it does do a pretty decent job and may be worth looking into. I'm sure there is other software that performs a similar function, but I'm only familiar with Splashtop.

I actually tried to use that program for beersmith, but the biggest problem I found was that your pc needs to be awake to use it which means I have to go to the pc and move the mouse to take it out of sleep mode which is a problem if you aren't home.

How good IS Beersmith at recipe conversions? Does the final result of an extract conversion due the original all grain justice?

I actually think this is one thing that you may be better off doing by hand. I've seen some funky conversions spit out by Beersmith - the problem being of course that there isn't always an equivalent extract for a particular grain, or going the other way you don't always know what is in the extract. I think it's more accurate to keep the specialty grains and convert the base malt to extract. Or if there are grains that need mashing then throw in 2-3 lbs base malt for a mini mash and convert the rest of the base to the appropriate extract. I haven't seen any program that is good at this though, so not really a knock against Beersmith in my mind.

I actually tried to use that program for beersmith, but the biggest problem I found was that your pc needs to be awake to use it which means I have to go to the pc and move the mouse to take it out of sleep mode which is a problem if you aren't home.

I actually haven't used it for a while but if it is running on your PC I'm pretty sure you should be able to wake it remotely. Might have to enable wake-on-lan (WOL) in your nic card's properties. I was thinking about this more from a "PC on the second floor, brewery in the garage" perspective, in that scenario just set your pc to never sleep.

I do pb/pm biab in the same 20Qt (5G) SS stock pot I started with. Just use a 3-4 gallon kettle for dunk sparging, since we bought a nested set of four pots. Works great with 3 1/2 gallon boils. I just need some kind of cart to get it from the kitchen to the brewery/man cave by myself...

I don't know all about that, pb/pm etc, I'm new to all the Procedures. I've heard of BIAB and I think I could do it, but I'd need calculators on how much water and things like that.

I know my LHBS Sells Grains for around 1.95 lb, which isn't bad. A can of LME was 15 bucks I seen today, I Don't recall the Size thou.

Grains for $2 a pound is not a good price, at least around here. Most domestic base malt goes for $1.30 a pound, less if you're willing to buy in bulk.

I have BS2 on my Kindle and love it. Never had the PC version and don't need it. Works great on the Kindle and I can keep it right near me in Timer mode while I brew. I design all my brews on it - usually in the comfort of my bed.

I don't know all about that, pb/pm etc, I'm new to all the Procedures. I've heard of BIAB and I think I could do it, but I'd need calculators on how much water and things like that.

I know my LHBS Sells Grains for around 1.95 lb, which isn't bad. A can of LME was 15 bucks I seen today, I Don't recall the Size thou.

I know you could do it. It really is simple, just put about 3 1/2 gallons of water into your 20qt pot, heat it to about 160 (varies according to the grain bill and your desired fermentability but close enough for a first try), stir in the grains, cover the pot and insulate it. An hour later (maybe less, depending on the milling of the grain and how gutsy you are) pull the bag of grains out and let it drain. Some people will put a colander across the top of the pot and set the bag of grains there to drain, some will put it in a bucket and dunk or pour over sparge there. At this point you have wort, same as if you had stirred extract into the water. If you don't have enough wort, you can sparge by pouring water through the bag of grains. This will get you about 2 1/2 gallons of beer. It will be so cheap and easy to get started you'll wonder why you kept doing extract kits for so long. :rockin:

Grains for $2 a pound is not a good price, at least around here. Most domestic base malt goes for $1.30 a pound, less if you're willing to buy in bulk.

That's the ONLY LHBS I have in town, and I have to drive 35 minutes 2 town's over to get it. Most of what I seen online was about that and I'd have to Pay for Shipping also.

$1.95 and around $2.25 or something for Specality Grains.

Back