BeerSmith vs brewers friend FG way off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anotherbeerplease

Reaction score
Hey I'm trying to formulate a nice barrel aged Barleywine w a bunch of Munich malt.

Problem is when I plug the same recipe into both programs, Brewers friend has it finishing at 1.031 and BeerSmith has it finishing at 1.018

Obviously this is going to be a very different beer depending on where it finishes... personally I'd rather have it finish up around 1.030 and leave some residual sweetness, otherwise it's just an odd-tasting DIPA...

Any tips? Which one should I go by?

Cheers!

Take a look at the expected attenuation level for your yeast and then just apply it to your targeted OG. I would also do. Quick search to see what we are getting on the homebrew level for attenuation compared to what's listed from wyeast or whomever.

Also look into the alcohol tolerance of your yeast. Although most yeast can handle it some will have a rough time fermenting into the 10-11% range.

That could be the reason why the two calculations are different, perhaps one program takes that into account although I highly doubt it.

I know that brewer's friend takes mash temp into consideration when calculating attenuation. Check that out.

As far as finishing higher, mash warmer and/or add unfermentables.

Back