beersmith user HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnfever

Reaction score
Ok I have been getting my stuff together to start doing full boils. I down loaded beersmith and put this recipe in,

Irish red ale,

5lbs amber malt extract syrup
1 lb crystal malt
1/2 lb toasted malt barley
1 oz northen Brewer hops (boiling)
1 oz tettnanger (aroma)
american-type ale yeast.

This started out as a 1.5 gallon boil.

I pluged this recipe in and converted it to a 6 gallon boil and 5 gallon batch.

The thing that concerns me is when I do this it shows to only use 0.43 oz of each hop. Just seams like a big cut in hops.

Can some one tell me if this is correct using beersmith? Did I do it correct or did I do something wrong?

Thanks for any help, input that any one can give me :mug:

Without actually running the numbers, it looks fairly accurate. Your boil volume jumps from 1.5gallons to 6 gallons, so you hops utilization will be affected.

Remember, hop utilization decreases with increasing wort gravity. The higher concentration of sugars makes it more difficult for the isomerized alpha acids to dissolve. link

I am not sure I understand your problem, but...

I think what is going wrong is beersmith does not factor in full vs partial boil. Its scaling it from a 1.5gallon batch to a 6 gallon batch I think.

I think beersmith is at least on the right track. 1 oz of northern brewer hops for a 60 min, 6 gallon boil would have you about 10 points over the style guidelines. 1/2 oz seems like it is cutting a little too much though. I would play with beersmith until I found a bitterness number that fit my preferences. Maybe 5/8 oz. or 3/4 oz. The other thing I noticed was that your fermentable sugars are a bit low. The toasted malt won't convert without mashing, but you should still get the flavor I assume you are looking for. I would bump the amber LME to 7# and go with 5/8 oz of the northern brewer.

Edit: changed the suggestion to bump LME to 7#, not the toasted malt.

I am not sure I understand your problem, but...

I think what is going wrong is beersmith does not factor in full vs partial boil. Its scaling it from a 1.5gallon batch to a 6 gallon batch I think.

No problem just wanted some one to plug in my recipe and see if they get the same numbers. I basically want to know if I am converting my ripes correct or should I be doing some thing different?

I think beersmith is at least on the right track. 1 oz of northern brewer hops for a 60 min, 6 gallon boil would have you about 10 points over the style guidelines. 1/2 oz seems like it is cutting a little too much though. I would play with beersmith until I found a bitterness number that fit my preferences. Maybe 5/8 oz. or 3/4 oz. The other thing I noticed was that your fermentable sugars are a bit low. The toasted malt won't convert without mashing, but you should still get the flavor I assume you are looking for. I would bump the amber LME to 7# and go with 5/8 oz of the northern brewer.

Edit: changed the suggestion to bump LME to 7#, not the toasted malt.

I wish I knew the bitterness I want lol. I know the recipe states that bitterness 30 IBU. Why does beersmith say it's 16.5? The recipe is loced in "The Joy Of HomeBrewing by Charlie Papazian." Pg 173 no sham shamrock irish red ale.

Thanks for all the info I can get

I'll type it in, and see what i get. But, did you know you can attach Beersmith files right to your posts? And then I could just click to open and manipulate it, and post it back.

Without knowing the AAUs of your hops, I only come up with 10 IBUs for the 1.5 gallon boil recipe. Maybe it's supposed to be a bigger boil to begin with?
Or the AA% is much higher than my default.

The default AA in my version of beersmith is 8.5%. If you want to get to 30 IBU with a 6 gallon boil for 60 minutes, you need to have .8oz of hops. The style guidelines for Irish Red Ale are 17-28 IBU. That's why I was suggesting a bit less. But there's no way I'm going up against Papazian.

I'll type it in, and see what i get. But, did you know you can attach Beersmith files right to your posts? And then I could just click to open and manipulate it, and post it back.

Ok if you tell me how will do

You go to the "file" choice on Beersmith, with your recipe highlighted. Click "export as" and name the file. It'll ask you if you want just the selected recipe, or ALL of them. Click selected. Then save.

Attach it into a post by using the "paperclip" above. Browse from your computer, attach the file. Then insert it.

It's much easier than it sounds! I'm an old (non-computer literate) person, and I can do it!

Here's the one I made from what you posted:
View attachment irishred.bsm

yooper thank you for your time but I can not view what is in that link? If I use the paper clip it wants a link?

Well I want to give many thanks to every one that lent a hand :mug:. I played and played with beersmith and did a whole lot of searching here on the forum to get wanted I needed. I went into the hop bitterness section and filled that in with my est O.G. the original 1.5 gallon boil and the selected the hops and amount. went down to "formula for bitterness" changed that to "rager" and BANG I got what the recipe was saying for IBU (30) I got 27.3 Witch seams pretty damn close and close enough for me lol. So from that point I adjusted the boil amount and seen my IBU go up. I started plugging in different amounts until I came up with what matched the original IBU witch was to use 5/8 of an ounce witch is what uwjesterhad said to start with.

So many thanks for all the input and figures. Also the "search" holds many many values lol

Now for one more quick question. I read that you dont chang the hop amount if it is used for aroma. Is this true?

Back