BeerSmith Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
Does anyone know if BeerSmith is a one time purchase for the download activation key, or is it an annual subscription that must be renewed?

I am using the 21 day trial version and I like it enough to make the purchase.

Does anyone know if BeerSmith is a one time purchase for the download activation key, or is it an annual subscription that must be renewed?

One-time purchase. It does go on sale for like $10 off from time to time, so maybe keep an eye out for that.

one time purchase, and the code will work 2 times. i used it once, then 3 years later when i got a new pc. you can transfer the code to the new pc, but that was easier and i dont need a copy on 2 pcs.

yea 2 keys you'll get with a 1 time purchase. I only wish you could use 1 of the keys for a mobile device but as far as I know it's a different license for a different version of the software.

It is supposed to be updated in a couple months with new/improved/different features, and considering how the time since the last major update I suspect this upcoming update will be a major version change (v2.2 -> v3.0) - thus, the need to re-purchase a valid license. If you can hold off until then, then perhaps you can save a little $ in purchasing twice in a short amount of time. Side note, minor revisions (2.0 -> 2.1, 2.1 -> 2.2, etc) have always been free updates.

yea 2 keys you'll get with a 1 time purchase. I only wish you could use 1 of the keys for a mobile device but as far as I know it's a different license for a different version of the software.

nope, i have tried. mobile device is a completely different program, and pretty limited compared to the desktop version. probably why its only $8

It is supposed to be updated in a couple months with new/improved/different features, and considering how the time since the last major update I suspect this upcoming update will be a major version change (v2.2 -> v3.0) - thus, the need to re-purchase a valid license. If you can hold off until then, then perhaps you can save a little $ in purchasing twice in a short amount of time. Side note, minor revisions (2.0 -> 2.1, 2.1 -> 2.2, etc) have always been free updates.

where did you see this? did they give an actual date? i talked to a dev. like 4-5 months ago, and he said they have been really working hard on a new version to address a lot of bugs, and make the layout a bit less cluttered, but didnt give me any clue on release. i gave him a few things i have noticed that i didnt like. all in all though, i love the program. i have tried them all, and always come back to beersmith

where did you see this? did they give an actual date? i talked to a dev. like 4-5 months ago, and he said they have been really working hard on a new version to address a lot of bugs, and make the layout a bit less cluttered, but didnt give me any clue on release. i gave him a few things i have noticed that i didnt like. all in all though, i love the program. i have tried them all, and always come back to beersmith

Darn it, I can't find where I originally read that "couple month" statement. I could have been a dream I guess :D

I did however find this statement from Brad himself indicating they are entering Beta testing this month, and beta usually moves along pretty quickly for quality developers.

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,2685.msg57679.html#msg57679

nice. it would seem it is in the near future. i just hope they dont charge for an upgrade

I can understand that for sure, but from their FAQ #10, if it's a major upgrade then there's a new registration cost. This is the case with pretty much all software out there. I feel good supporting software that enables us to be more productive, and successful, brewers. Even when there are many other (relatively) free options out there that I could use, I still come back to BS time-and-time again. For me, it's the cost of a batch of beer - I'm okay with that and it helps Brad to keep doing what he's doing.

10. What is your Update/Upgrade Policy?

All minor version updates such as 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc… will be available for free. Major upgrades (version 2.3 to 3.0 for example) will require a new registration.

I know that Brad had stated at one point that people who purchased within x amount of time before a major upgrade would receive the upgrade for free. He did this when going from v.1 to v.2. If you want to know any specifics, I would recommend e-mailing him on it.

Upgrade from V1 to V2 back in 2011 was only $17. I'm sure that if V3 becomes a paid upgrade, it will be discounted like it has before. Being that it was 5 years ago that I had to do the upgrade to V2, I'd have no issue paying $20'ish dollars to get to V3. This is a tool I use for every batch I brew.

Upgrade from V1 to V2 back in 2011 was only $17. I'm sure that if V3 becomes a paid upgrade, it will be discounted like it has before. Being that it was 5 years ago that I had to do the upgrade to V2, I'd have no issue paying $20'ish dollars to get to V3. This is a tool I use for every batch I brew.

Totally agree. Beersmith is awesome. I didn't V3 was coming, but now I am really excited for it! :ban:

I can understand that for sure, but from their FAQ #10, if it's a major upgrade then there's a new registration cost. This is the case with pretty much all software out there. I feel good supporting software that enables us to be more productive, and successful, brewers. Even when there are many other (relatively) free options out there that I could use, I still come back to BS time-and-time again. For me, it's the cost of a batch of beer - I'm okay with that and it helps Brad to keep doing what he's doing.

true. i have tried all the free ones, and i still have bought beersmith. twice.

i emailed Brad, and this is the response i got from him:

The upgrade will be version 2.3 and will be free to existing registered users. I'm hoping to enter beta testing around the end of this month and release it sometime in July if all goes well. I'll have a preview on the blog of features once I get the program into beta testing.

i emailed Brad, and this is the response i got from him:

The upgrade will be version 2.3 and will be free to existing registered users. I'm hoping to enter beta testing around the end of this month and release it sometime in July if all goes well. I'll have a preview on the blog of features once I get the program into beta testing.

Thanks for the status update on this. That's awesome that it'll be an update (vs upgrade$$) :D

I thought it was okay, but it lacks finnish malts, so is less handy for me personally.

Brewersfriend.com has a free pc software nowadays, it works well for me and has a bigger ingredient database, though a more basic interface.

I thought it was okay, but it lacks finnish malts, so is less handy for me personally.

Brewersfriend.com has a free pc software nowadays, it works well for me and has a bigger ingredient database, though a more basic interface.

Did you check for ingredient updates?

Here's a summary of updates for 2016:

Hop Update 2016 (48 items)
Yeast Update 2016 (178 items)
Misc Update 2016 (48 items)
Avangard Malts (5 items)
Bairds Malts (15 items)
Muntons Malts (17 items)
Rahr Malts (7 items)

You can always manually add any ingredients you want.

How good is the mobile version? I am looking for something on my tablet to take in the garage for note taking etc.

I tried to like it. I really did. Even using it in conjunction with the desktop version, it's still clunky and cumbersome IMHO.

I'll probably be in the minority here seeing as how this is a BS thread, but I've gone to using Brewers Friend exclusively. I can't even remember the last time I actually used BS. BF just matches my lifestyle and brewing style better. I like the fact that it's cloud based so if I can open a browser, I can open BF. I can use my laptop, mobile, tablet, whatever, and use the same BF. That's a huge plus for me. It costs more, but being cloud based is a huge bonus for me.

How good is the mobile version? I am looking for something on my tablet to take in the garage for note taking etc.

It's an uber light version of the PC version. I bought it, played with it a bit, then deleted it. I used it to record some recipe ideas I sometimes get drinking beer in airports... I don't recall if it had a the notes section like the PC version does.

Scratch that then... since I will be brewing in my garage 8- 9 months out of the year I guess I can bite the bullet and put a PC out there. Will come in handy for projector movie nights anyway. I hang a large surplus projector screen on the side of my garage and invite the town over for outdoor movie night... use a low cost digital projector that I was running off the tablet. Maybe get 20-30 families over once a month and the kids get to experience what a drive in was like minus the car...

I only bought the lite version. I don't see me making up recipes on my phone. I just use it with the cloud storage to give me access to my recipes so when someone asks me about a beer I have the details. I've liked to for that.

I also use it on brew days to convert my refractometer reading to SG and for hydrometer/temperature adjustments.

Back