Beersmith question - amount of water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhhicks

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to brewing - about a year now, and I'm still doing extract brews. I notice most of the "kit" directions instruct on a specific amount of water to use for the steeping/boil and to top it off to 5 gal. It's usually 3gals in the kettle and then 2gals to top off.

What I'm getting at is in Beersmith, I'm not seeing how much water I need for my beers. I see the volume tab (and perhaps I'm in the right place), but before I starting relying on Beersmith I want to know that I'm looking at the right parts of the software so I can solely use Beersmith to keep records of my brews.

Thanks for your help for this newb. :rockin:

These calcs are under "equipment". you specify your pot size, boil volume, losses to trub and boil off, etc. If you click the icon right next to equipment WITHIN the recipe, the changes you make will be for that recipe ONLY. If you open the equipment tab, you can create an equipment profile that matches what you do routinely, and then select that each time you make a recipe.

I think I have my extract profile equip set to

boil vol 3.5
Boil time 60 min
Boil off .5 g

Post boil 3 gal
loss to trub .5 gal
Top off 2.5 gall.
Batch 5

Okay, cool. I'll have to play around with it some more. I've only had the trial for a couple of days now.

Back