beersmith problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

payton34

Reaction score
something aint right. i punched in a recipe for a ten gallon batch of wheat ipa with a 24 pound grain bill along with 2 pounds of rice hulls. beersmith said too use 32.5 qts strike water.(seemed right) then it said to sparge with 12.79 gallons to get 12.55 gallons pre boil. wtf.:drunk:

something aint right. i punched in a recipe for a ten gallon batch of wheat ipa with a 24 pound grain bill along with 2 pounds of rice hulls. beersmith said too use 32.5 qts strike water.(seemed right) then it said to sparge with 12.79 gallons to get 12.55 gallons pre boil. wtf.:drunk:

That does seem high. Is your equipment configured with a lot of dead space?

payton34 said:
said to sparge with 12.79 gallons to get 12.55 gallons pre boil. wtf.:drunk:

Wow, that's more then a bad equipment profile.. No idea but got a laugh from it

Must have bought some really thirsty grain. It will absorb all of your mash water plus a quart of the sparge?

I've never had luck using the mash calculator on beer smith

no i am probably missing some data input somewhere. i have a sightglass on my brew kettle so i just fly sparged until i got my boil amounts. just wondered if there was something i messed up. all my other recipes turn out right

Back