Beersmith on new PC - trying to import saved recipe files

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxStout

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought a new PC, with Win 10. I had backed up my Beersmith recipes on an external HDD. I installed BS on the new PC and want to import the .bsmx recipe files. There appears to be no function for doing that. I can open them individually and add them, but I have dozens of recipes, each of which has numerous .bsmx files (apparently each save creates a new one). I don't want to open each of the 900-plus .bsmx files I saved.

Is there a way to batch import these?

I went through this recently. I'm pretty sure I just did a copy/paste of all the .bsmx files from within Windows Explorer. I know for sure that I did no exporting/importing from within BS.

I can't remember and I'm not in front of my home PC right now. If nobody else chimes in before then, I'll verify when I get home and reply back. My recollection is that there might be instructions for migrating BS to a new PC on the BS website.

[opens browser and searches... maybe found something]

Try this.

I followed those instructions, copied over my Beersmith2 folder. The program does not have my recipes, it has lost all of my equipment profiles, etc. I tried to open one and save, I get error messages.

I spent a good part of last night fooling around with this, and too much more time this morning. I have too many other programs to reinstall today. I can't continue burning my time on this one. Uninstalling BS now. I give up.

Your backup 'Beersmith2' directory should be placed in:
C:\Users\<your_username>\Documents\

so you end up with

C:\Users\<your_username>\Documents\BeerSmith2\

You should see all of your user-specific files in there. Usually you'll see some directories (Archive, Reports, Updates, etc) and then lots of files (Age, Carbonation, Cloud, etc).

*EDIT - Whoops, thought you meant going from BS1 to BS2. In BS2 you should be able to simply file->open your .bsmx file. That's not working? I only get an error when trying to import old BSM files, to which I need to use .xml instead.

Rev.

I've had to first find the file(s), then re-associate it with BS2. Same with Apache Open Office files this darn thing "lost". I had to go to my external hard drive, look up <my name>, then the old my documents file Search them out. If they're all in a folder, you could try re-associating (open with) BS2.

Latest posts

Back