beersmith - ingredients not showing up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

android

Reaction score
for some reason, i can't get the ingredients in my recipes to show up, the whole field is blank. but when i'm in the window with all the recipes listed and click on one, it will show all the ingredients, etc. in the 'preview pane', so i know the information is still stored somewhere, it just isn't showing up when i open the actual recipe. anyone else experienced this? i'm running it on windows 7 if that makes any difference.

Hi,

In most cases this is caused by a corrupt "newopts14.opts" file.

By default BeerSmith is in the "C:\Program Files\BeerSmith" directory.

However under Vista you may also have a "Compatibility files" directory that shows up on the toolbar when you go to the BeerSmith directory. This is where your data and the opts file likely lives. The full path to the compatibility diectory is: C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BeerSmith

where {USERNAME} is your login name for Vista.

If you delete the newopts14.opts directory there you should be in business.

Let me know if you have continued problems! So far we've had no one lose any data and I've been able to get everyone back up and running quickly.

Cheers,
Brad

brad, i don't find any AppData folder in c\users\username.. i see the newopts14.opts in the program files\beersmith, but don't think that's the one to delete, right?

i'm on windows 7, not vista if that makes any difference.

Backup data. Uninstall. Install to C:\Users\YourUserName . Problem (should be) solved.

That eventually happened to me on Vista, I looked at some fixes and everything, this worked like a charm and it never happened again. When I installed Win7 I installed to Program Files and shortly after it happened again, so I did what I said, problem solved again.

awesome, thanks. what are the specific file(s) that i need to backup from beersmith before the uninstall?

Just your recipes. Click on My Recipes, click on a recipe, go to File > Export As, make sure "All Items in Current View" is checked, "BeerSmith File Format" should already be checked, and then click ok. After you reinstall go to Import Append, locate you recipes file, and Import it.

Hi,

In most cases this is caused by a corrupt "newopts14.opts" file.

By default BeerSmith is in the "C:\Program Files\BeerSmith" directory.

However under Vista you may also have a "Compatibility files" directory that shows up on the toolbar when you go to the BeerSmith directory. This is where your data and the opts file likely lives. The full path to the compatibility diectory is: C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\BeerSmith

where {USERNAME} is your login name for Vista.

If you delete the newopts14.opts directory there you should be in business.

Let me know if you have continued problems! So far we've had no one lose any data and I've been able to get everyone back up and running quickly.

Cheers,
Brad

I had the same thing happen to me. I used this remedy and everything appeared again! Woohooooo!

So I deleted the file that Brad said to delete. All the ingredients came back but now it won't save any new recipes. Any help????:confused:

+! to the reinstall. Using Windows 7 here. Didn't try deleting the newopts file, just backed up, reinstalled in the Users directory, and imported my old recipes. Looks great, knock on wood that it will stay right this time!

Having this problem too. Neither reinstalling nor deleting newopts14 has worked for me. any other ideas?

Did you ensure you installed it into the "C:\Users\YourUserName" location instead of where beersmith wants to install itself "C:\prgramfiles\beersmith"?

If you just did a basic re-install instead changing the install location it still won't work.

Back