beersmith carbonation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorefingers23

Reaction score
in beersmith when you input your numbers for carbonation, it has a field for beer temp, and i was wondering does that mean the temp of the beer in the fermenter or the temp the bottles will be stored at?

I have been told it's the highest temp your beer was during fermentation. As Beer Smith calculates "residual carbination" caused by fermentation. If you maintained a temp of 60f during fermentation it would have more desolved CO2 from the main ferment then a beer fermented at 70f. Due gases staying desolved in liquids longer at lower temps.

also i was wondering, for the amount of priming sugar to add, is that based on how much beer originally went into the fermenter, or how much is in the bottling bucket.

for example, if i make a 5.5 gallon batch, and end up with 5 gallons in the fermenter, and a bit less than 5 gallons in the bottling bucket, which number would i use to get my amount of priming sugar?

Your batch size needs to be the amount to be bottled. It calculates the gravity for priming based on your batch size assuming that's the same amount you intend to bottle. If you get less you'll end up over carbed and more it'll under carb

Back