Beersmith blog says not to mix caramel malts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trail

Oh great, it's that guy again.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was reading this article on Beersmith.com about the use of caramel malts. I encountered this strange warning:

Rarely should the total caramel malt exceed 10% of the grain bill, and 5% is probably a better target. Don’t add a rainbow of caramel malts – select the one you need and use it. Also, use the darker caramel malts sparingly – as the color approaches 100 SRM, these malts get increasingly astringent, and have a more burnt flavor, which can often destroy the flavor balance in your beer. Moderation is the key.

I've mixed caramels before and thought it worked OK. A search of the forums indicates I'm not alone in this... and I can't find anything that explains why mixing "a rainbow of caramel malts" would be bad. :confused:

I like to limit any flavor component to no more than 3 of a kind, typically 1-2. Otherwise it tastes less complex, and more muddled. Take dark roasted malts for an example, you'll rarely see black patent, roasted barley, and two kinds of chocolate malt together in a grain bill. It's too "busy".

With that said, I don't really view brad as an authority figure. He posts incorrect information all the time so take anything you read there with a grain of salt.

It depends on the style, but I quite often layer crystal/caramel malts - especially with styles like porters, stouts, RIS, brown ales... I would agree that you don't want to be heavy handed or mix too many, but I find adding a couple of varying colors adds some complexity (e.g. some 40 and 120, rather than just some 80).

You can use different caramel malts to dial in your desired color and flavor. For example if a recipe calls for caramel 40, and you don't have any, you could mix 20 and 60 to get the equivalent. I don't see the problem with mixing it up a bit.

I do agree with the moderation advice--5-10% total is plenty.

Latest posts

Back