Beersmith adding mash step

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firestorm159

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew a Wookey Jack clone. It is a 60 min mash and then a step up to 155 for 10 minuets. I mash in a cooler so I have to add water to raise it. When I go to add a mash step in beersmith I add my step temp. and time but it doesn't tell me how much water to add? Any help would be appreciated.

If you switch your mash step to an "Infusion" step instead of a "Temperature" step, BeerSmith will calculate the temperature rise as a water addition. Otherwise, with a Temperature step, BeerSmith is programmed as a direct heating of the mash.

Ok so I figured out how to do it but it says to use 2.5 gal of water to raise the temp from 148 to 155. That only leaves me barely over a gallon to sparge with? Does it matter how much water you use for the infusion?

Assuming you are doing a 5-gallon batch, that does not sound too far off. What is the infusion water temperature? You may also need to adjust down your initial strike water to 1.25 qts/lb if you are not there already.

Mash in: Add 5.38 gal of water at 158.9 step temp. 148.00 60 min.
Mash step: Add 1.00 gal of water at 198.1 step temp. 155.00 10 min.
Batch sparge with 2.97 gal./ initial strike water 1.25 qts/lb.and it's a 5.5 gallon batch.
Does this sound right?

Looks pretty straight forward to me. You can also change your step temperature addition by clicking to edit a step and changing the volume of water you want to add. i.e. You can edit your mash step to add 0.9 gal of water and BeerSmith will adjust the temperature of the water addition.

Back