Beers to go grain to glass in 3 weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990dtgl98

Reaction score
So here's the deal. I have boarded the bandwagon and am currently converting my chest freezer into a 3-tap kegerator.

I have gone faster than planned, and as a result, I want to have my first keg-tapping party for the Pats-Colts game on the 21st (GO COLTS!).

I was wondering what beers I should brew that can go from grain to glass in that short a time. I'll need something that can ferment in 2 weeks and carb/condition in a week (figuring that's the best ratio). This is also my first attempt at all grain, so I don't want to get too rediculous.

I can only brew during the weekends, hence why this coming weekend is the only good opportunity for me.

I also wanted a little variety. I know I cant really do a high ABV beer in the timeframe, so I wanted as many flavors as I could get. Here's what I was thinking:

1.) Vienna/Northern Brewer SMaSH (for a hoppy beer for me)
2.) BM's Centennial Blonde (seems to be a crowd pleaser, maybe his Cream of 3 crops would be a "lighter" and better choice for the football game?)
3.) Citrus hefeweizen (since I heard they can ferment fast)

I'm all open to suggestions however!

:rockin::rockin:

the hefe will probably work out good. wheat beers are meant to be consumed young. no clue about the others.

Well I hate to toot my own horn but I'm drunk and can't think of anything else.

Check out my Honey Orange Hefeweizen.

When made it last my sister wanted it for a house warming party and asked me to do it 2 weeks ahead of time. Got that sucker done in 10 days.

Well I hate to toot my own horn but I'm drunk and can't think of anything else.

Check out my Honey Orange Hefeweizen.

When made it last my sister wanted it for a house warming party and asked me to do it 2 weeks ahead of time. Got that sucker done in 10 days.

Actually Reno, I saw that about 10 seconds after I posted. I was going to use almost your exact recipe, but change a few small things (add some spice perhaps).

So a hefe is definitely in. What about my other 2 taps? I would like a more bitter beer for myself, and maybe a simple low grain party beer for the third.

SMaSH and Centennial blonde sound good? I just don't want 3 beers that "kinda" taste the same.

I was going to suggest BM's Centennial Blond before I even saw that you were thinking about that one. Just brewed that one myself not too long ago (with some slight adjustments) and it is delicious. Probably the best beer I've made yet!

Just out of curiosity, how much did the freezer and keg setup cost total? Im looking into something similar for myself when I have the funds

I actually like my arrogant bastard clone after a 4-6 day primary fermentation and then either keg or bottle and enjoy asap.

The beer I have in the fermenter now is called the Innkeeper from Northern Brewer. It says 2 weeks in primary 2 weeks in bottles. If you have a keg you can skip the bottles

Any kind of beer with a low OG that doesn't require lagering or extending aging because of ferm temp can probably be ready in three weeks if you keg. Orfy said his Mild Mannered Mild actually peaks at 21 days and then goes downhill.

Just out of curiosity, how much did the freezer and keg setup cost total? Im looking into something similar for myself when I have the funds

Well the freezer is some 15 yo unit I had from before. So just in parts to make it...about 400. But that's with Perlicks, SS shanks, my own Co2 tank (since they fill around here), etc. I could have probably done it for 200 for just the parts if I shopped around used or cheaper equipment.

:off:
Go Pats !

:(

English mild
Scottish 60/- then you can step it up with a 70 or 80 for the next beer.

B

Was thinking that too, but I think a Pale ale, blonde and hefe are going to be the choices.

Pales and IPAs are great when they are young. If you have good fermention techniques and usage of yeast and can crash cool and get your beer fairly clear in time, they are best consumed young.

Here is the first pull of my latest pale at 17 days, a little hazy since it was the first pull.

d6cbbc02-eff4-4aa6-b922-20da723c7f08_568x424r0.jpg

If you’ve not brewed and/or served a hefe before…be careful. They are routinely suggested as quick beers, but people aren’t prepared for the strong banana/clove flavor of a hefe.

If you want something in the wheat beer category that the “masses” will flock to, an American Wheat (like my Litehaus) is very quick and easy and tossing some zest would fruit it up a bit. A Belgian Wit (Blue Moon) is also very fast and very popular.

If you’ve not brewed and/or served a hefe before…be careful. They are routinely suggested as quick beers, but people aren’t prepared for the strong banana/clove flavor of a hefe.

If you want something in the wheat beer category that the “masses” will flock to, an American Wheat (like my Litehaus) is very quick and easy and tossing some zest would fruit it up a bit.

Yeah the traditionally hefe yeast flavor can scare some. Well technically my Honey Orange Hefe is an American Wheat since I use WB-06. I just like the sound of the name :D

Actually Reno, I saw that about 10 seconds after I posted. I was going to use almost your exact recipe, but change a few small things (add some spice perhaps).

Adding spice sounds fantastic actually. You can try adding black pepper, grains of paradise, chamomile, etc., or any combination... just don't get too crazy or it won't get done quickly. Sometimes too much spice can be very overwhelming and requires patience to allow it to mellow.

If you want something in the wheat beer category that the “masses” will flock to, an American Wheat (like my Litehaus) is very quick and easy and tossing some zest would fruit it up a bit. A Belgian Wit (Blue Moon) is also very fast and very popular.

I have made hefe's before. I never liked the wheat beers, they seemed too toned down. Last one I made was with WLP320. Too bland for me.

Adding spice sounds fantastic actually. You can try adding black pepper, grains of paradise, chamomile, etc., or any combination... just don't get too crazy or it won't get done quickly. Sometimes too much spice can be very overwhelming and requires patience to allow it to mellow.

I'll be making a modified version of yours, Reno, using a traditional hefe yeast (White Labs WLP300), and cracked black pepper. Might omit the orange if I use the pepper, or vice versa. Last hefe I did with more than 2 spices/additions kinda came across as jumbled together, especially with a banana/clove flavor of the yeast, so I'm not sure if I want to add both.

Grain bill is the same (though the LHBS might have mislabeled it, as they have written down 4lbs 2-row, 3lbs white wheat, even though I told them the opposite).

I am in process of building mine now, but if it helps:

7cf Chest Freezer - $200
Analog Temp Controller - $60
Collar materials - ?? (estimating probably $30-50)
2 Kegs, 10# CO2 tank, 2 Perlick Faucets, 4 way gas manifold, regulator, and lines - $350 from kegconnection

Building a 2 tap system with upgrade capacity to 4.

LOTS of beers can go grain to glass in three weeks. For big roasty beers, they need time to mellow, but many beers can be ready in three weeks.

Some keys:
Pitch the appropriate amount of yeast. Consult mrmalty.com's pitching calculator. Most homebrewers underpitch by a huge margin. Pitching the correct amount means fermentation will not be stressed, and it will finish up fairly quickly.

Keep the OG under 1.050 or so, and ferment on the cool side of the yeast strains optimum range. This helps prevent "hot" flavors that need time to mellow out. That said, my 1.065 IPA is always drinkable in three weeks.

Keep the ingredients simple, and make sure they "meld" well. Oak or other tannic flavors, roast, black barley, etc, usually need some time. A small amount of roast and black barley can make a nice stout low OG in three weeks, but generally they need more time.

A flocculant yeast strain really helps to get clear beer in short order. Use S04 if you want a beer that will be completely clear in two weeks (or less) from pitch date.

Very bitter beers tend to need more time to mellow, while hoppy beers do not. When doing a quick APA, keep the bittering at the low end of the range and it'll be ready faster.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

for kegging do you really need a tap or can you just store them in a chest freezer and use the hose to fill your glass?

allright cool last year around superbowl time I bought a chest freezer for $200 that came with $200 worth of food coupons. i use that for food though. will see if they have a similar deal this year

Back