Beers from scotland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
My buddy mailed me some beers from London. I told him about BrewDog and he fell in love. Then he sent me a box of Joy.

image-3110867639.jpg

Hardcore IPA
BARREL Aged 77 Lager
5 AM Saint
Tactical Nuclear Penguin

And some Glassware.

That's a goooooood Buddy

My local bottleshop has been selling the Brewdog Paradox Imperial Stout series for $3.50 a bottle (originally $12). I've been stocking up - great brew.

I was unimpressed with Brewdog's Tokyo, it tasted like cloyingly sweet rubbing alcohol. I'd like to try some of their regular beers though.

Yeah, I didn't even want to ask how much all that stuff was. He says their hardcore IPA is amazing. I will find out tomorrow. I can't wait.

I concur Brew Dog Tokyo was a lousy ale...and very expensive. I had it at the tap room and paid 14$ for an 8 ounce pour. It was a big let down. All of the Brew Dog beer that I have tried have been just hot alcohol with unimpressive tasting notes.

High alcohol beers are dominating the marketplace because people would rather get drunk than drink beer.

i've tried their 'nanny state' which is around 1% abv and insanely late/dry hopped with what tasted like amarillo as well as very bitter. thin bodied, fizzy, hop heavy, like dry-hopped mineral water, i like their ipa (i think punk ipa?), and i love that they are trying all sorts of experimental brews, but this stuff was unpleasant to say the best

Dirty dog... I am not really interested in the crazy eisbocked rubbing alcohol beers, (WWS was more than I cared for) but I would be very interested in those other 3. I have a friend who just moved to Scotland. Maybe some bribery is in order.

High alcohol beers are dominating the marketplace because people would rather get drunk than drink beer.

I don't think this is true.. Nobody buys a $100 bottle of beer because they want to get drunk. That's what $10 handles of vodka are for. The high grav beers are a market trend - and like any other trend they will pass. After the market is saturated with 10% IPAs and everyone has elevated liver enzymes the trend might turn to packing as much flavor as possible into low OG beers. The Mild rennesaince is on the horizon.

FYI, The Hardcore IPA is soooooo GOOD! Definitely keep a look out for this one.

Love that I can get 5AM Saint and Hardcore IPA at my local BevMo year round. Good stuff! Always wanted to try a TNP.

Tried to order a Tokyo at Small Bar (also $14 for a half pint pour) but they kicked the keg into my glass. I thought it was bad luck at the time, but maybe it wasn't.

Tokyo is the only one I can find at my liquor store. But I heard so many bad reviews, I had to pass

Tokyo is really good. The backend tastes just the chocolate covered cherries. Its worth it. I heard tactical nuclear penguin was terrible and the para juradox or what its called is just okay. I recommend the Tokyo for sure.

Let me also add this tokyo has been sitting. It said batch 0001 on it so the alcohol heat probably mellowed over the years

Back