Beer With Kick Is Caught in F.D.A.’s Net

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ms. Kallman, a co-founder of the company that makes samuel adams, came up with the idea for a caffeinated beer around 2003, when energy drinks like red bull were soaring in popularity. She left samuel adams in 2000.

Except that her idea was literally the plot in many Drew Carey shows.

Also the prohibition is sort of like banning sales of loaded guns.

Is it seriously that difficult to add caffeine to your own drink?

I've heard of this new drink called a "rum and coke."

I didn't like her in beer wars and I felt that her beer was a gimmick more than an actually good product. The FDA over reacted to the four-loko debacle but that was hardly what sunk moonshot. Sad to hear about her health problems and I hope she is in recovery.

If you read the article it points out that she was having a pretty tough time selling the stuff anyway.

I had the same thinking watching Beer Wars. Moonshot seemed more about a caffeinated beer than a good beer. Did anyone have it to report?

Everybody saw right through what she was selling, she was not a brewer, she is a marketing person and everybody into craft beer saw that. She was selling a bottle of crap and calling it craft...

I didn't find her sympathetic at all in Beer Wars. She made a big deal about how BMC was pushing her out of the market, but if you base your entire company on a single gimmicky beer I don't think you have much to complain about when you get outmaneuvered.

I didn't find her sympathetic at all in Beer Wars. She made a big deal about how BMC was pushing her out of the market, but if you base your entire company on a single gimmicky beer I don't think you have much to complain about when you get outmaneuvered.

Or how about when she went to BMC with the business offer and they turned her down. When even BMC can recognize the phoniness of it then you know it's going to end this way.

So at what point is the caffeine content high enough for government intervention? What if the beer is, say, an espresso imperial stout?

So at what point is the caffeine content high enough for government intervention? What if the beer is, say, an espresso imperial stout?

Its the fact she was adding caffeine into the beer, it says the goverments ban does not include using ingridients that have caffeine naturally occuring in. Hence coffee

I had the same thinking watching Beer Wars. Moonshot seemed more about a caffeinated beer than a good beer. Did anyone have it to report?

Thought the same thing. Exactly the kind of person this odd beer was marketed is exactly who won't be buying it. Caffeinated beer is house party, red solo cup territory. Its people who drink beer on their lunch break at the factory beer.

Its the fact she was adding caffeine into the beer, it says the goverments ban does not include using ingridients that have caffeine naturally occuring in. Hence coffee

Ah thanks, I missed that part. I haven't actually brewed a beer yet with any kind of coffee additions, so I don't know how much caffeine actually makes it into the beer. I figured there was some sort of a minimum threshold of caffeine content before it would be considered a "caffeinated alcoholic beverage", and maybe most coffee stouts weren't hitting that point.

kaconga said:
I didn't like her in beer wars and I felt that her beer was a gimmick more than an actually good product. The FDA over reacted to the four-loko debacle but that was hardly what sunk moonshot. Sad to hear about her health problems and I hope she is in recovery.

This.

Back